Carbonation Tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bru-er

Reaction score
Anybody use them? I usually keg my homebrews, but I would like to bottle up 12 or so from each batch for sampling to friends. I have tried to dispense from the keg using a picnic tap and racking cane. This is pretty successful, but I would like to also compare the difference between forced carbonating and bottle conditioning.

I used them on a sixer that I was going to keg but had an extra 6 bottles that didn't fit into the keg.

I'd recommend starting on the 'light carb' side and working up. I think it said on the package that 5 tabs for 'normal' carb - and it was WAY over carb almost like soda.

For filling off the keg, see the BMBF
I also normally use the drops on a few at kegging so I can have some bottle conditioned examples of whatever it is. I usually set these aside for longer times. I also do it because I frequently do a bit more than 5 or 10 gallons, and would rather stick a needle in my eye than waste some.;)
Oh, yeah... your question. They work great.

Germey said:
For filling off the keg, see the BMBF
I also normally use the drops on a few at kegging so I can have some bottle conditioned examples of whatever it is. I usually set these aside for longer times. I also do it because I frequently do a bit more than 5 or 10 gallons, and would rather stick a needle in my eye than waste some.;)
Oh, yeah... your question. They work great.

Thanks. That is how I have filled from the keg. It works great. The first few times I ended up with a face full of foam. I am interested in getting it all taken care of when I am kegging. Also, since I only have two kegs (1 is a loaner) and I never seem to make back to back batches of the same recipe, I would like to do some comparisons of similar brews.

jezter6 said:
You did turn the PSI down to like 4-6 and vent the keg first, right?

I did. I was having trouble venting the bottle with my thumb and I think that batch was heavily carbonated.

Venting the bottle with your thumb??? I use the racking cane method and just shove it down to the bottom and hit the tapper. You were pressurizing the bottle - no wonder you got hit with foam. :)

I have since changed my method. I would mount the racking cane in a drilled stopper and set at the bottom of the bottle, but the stopper held some pressure in. Live and learn. I think using the carb tabs I will also be able to top the bottles off better. I was able to get about 2" below the lip using keg method, I think I will be able to get a bit more in the bottle now.

Back