Carbonation of Cider in Beer Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

How much white sugar should i add to a reg size glass beer bottle when bottling cider to carbonate it? I dont want to do the whole batch just maybe 12 bottles or so to try it out, but I dont want bottle bombs. Is 1 tsp per bottle too much ?

Scott

I always did it by the gallon. Use between 1 ounce and 1.5 ounce of sugar per gallon. 1 ounce is a good place to start and gives a petulant amount of carbonation.

You can divide it up as well to get per bottle. If you have 12 ounce beer bottles and want to add sugar to the bottle, then I'd switch to grams. There are roughly 28 grams in an ounce. And 11 bottles per gallon. Divide 28 by 11 bottles and get right around 2.5 grams per bottle.

I would not measure at that low rate by teaspoon. You need a touch more precision.

Thank you for your replys, I may try the carbonation tabs, if my local brew shop doesn't have them then I will have to weigh it out.

All of the above. I have done something like that to "restore" carbonation to bottles that were a bit undercarbonated. Roughly, you need to ferment about 1 SG point to generate 0.5 vols of CO2. This means that starting at 1.005 and finishing at 1.000 will give you around 2.5 vols of CO2 which is about where most people aim for in a sealed bottle.

A SG of 1.005 is a concentration of about 13g of sugar per litre, so, for a 12 fl oz bottle (or 330 ml if you think in metric) you need something like a third of this which is about a teaspoon (4.5 grams)... good guess on your part!

It is easier to add sugar to bottles in liquid form, so a sugar syrup of 50/50 sugar and water makes life easy, you just add it with a (graduated) eye dropper. Five grams of sugar occupies 6ml, so 12 ml (0.4 fl oz) of 50/50 sugar syrup will add about a teaspoon of sugar. I am assuming that like most of us you are just after something with the right amount of fizz rather than some precise amount, so the above approach should give you a result that is "near enough". Even if you overcater, at normal room temperature even 4 or 5 volumes of CO2 won't generate more than 80 psi which is well within the normal limits of bottles (but might create "a volcano" when the bottle is opened!)

You can always try a bottle and measure what SG change you get when the sugar syrup is added, then adjust the amount to get 1.005 if needed, or even batch up the amount of cider that you want to carbonate and add sugar to that before bottling.

I guess the proviso with this approach is that we assume that because it is usually somewhat aged when it is bottled, cider has minimal CO2 in solution (unlike beer, which can have something approaching 1 atmosphere because it is bottled "fresh"). However this seems to work for me, in any case once it is poured cider gives up its CO2 quite quickly.

None of this is "rocket surgery" once you understand what you are trying to do. You can do some more precise arithmetic but it probably isn't necessary... Have fun!

From what I've read, cider calls for a bit more carbonation than beer. When carbing single bottles of beer I will go 3/4 Tbsp. (corn or table) sugar. When carbing cider I have a heavier hand and go for a heaping 3/4.

PS. Carb tabs work great. They're just more expensive than their counterpart - a measure spoon and sugar. I guess you pay for the convenience.

EDIT: It's been a while... It could be tsp, not Tbsp. I'll have to check

EDIT to the EDIT: It's Tsp. In fact, my notes say 1/2 tsp for beer 3/4 tsp (or heaping 1/2) for cider. Hope you didn't take my first line of advice and now I blew your house up.

Last edited:
How much white sugar should i add to a reg size glass beer bottle when bottling cider to carbonate it?
I am in the middle of my first gallon batch of cider and am following the Everyday Simplest Dry Cider recipe here: Everyday Simplest Dry Cider . For priming, the 55 ml of apple juice concentrate per gallon works out to almost exactly 11 teaspoons of the apple juice concentrate (11.2 teaspoons of apple juice concentrate per gallon). The amount of sugar in that is 24.2 grams for the Safeway concentrated apple juice I bought.

For the 11 approximately 12 oz bottles in a gallon. it works out to 2.2 grams sugar per bottle. At 0.24 teaspoon of granulated sugar per gram, you would want 0.53 teaspoon granulated sugar per bottle, or a slightly rounded 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar per bottle.

This assumes your fermentation is complete and agrees generally with post #2 and others. It's definitely a conservative suggestion which would be a safe first attempt, and you could adjust from there.

All of the above. I have done something like that to "restore" carbonation to bottles that were a bit undercarbonated. Roughly, you need to ferment about 1 SG point to generate 0.5 vols of CO2. This means that starting at 1.005 and finishing at 1.000 will give you around 2.5 vols of CO2 which is about where most people aim for in a sealed bottle.

A SG of 1.005 is a concentration of about 13g of sugar per litre, so, for a 12 fl oz bottle (or 330 ml if you think in metric) you need something like a third of this which is about a teaspoon (4.5 grams)... good guess on your part!

It is easier to add sugar to bottles in liquid form, so a sugar syrup of 50/50 sugar and water makes life easy, you just add it with a (graduated) eye dropper. Five grams of sugar occupies 6ml, so 12 ml (0.4 fl oz) of 50/50 sugar syrup will add about a teaspoon of sugar. I am assuming that like most of us you are just after something with the right amount of fizz rather than some precise amount, so the above approach should give you a result that is "near enough". Even if you overcater, at normal room temperature even 4 or 5 volumes of CO2 won't generate more than 80 psi which is well within the normal limits of bottles (but might create "a volcano" when the bottle is opened!)

You can always try a bottle and measure what SG change you get when the sugar syrup is added, then adjust the amount to get 1.005 if needed, or even batch up the amount of cider that you want to carbonate and add sugar to that before bottling.

I guess the proviso with this approach is that we assume that because it is usually somewhat aged when it is bottled, cider has minimal CO2 in solution (unlike beer, which can have something approaching 1 atmosphere because it is bottled "fresh"). However this seems to work for me, in any case once it is poured cider gives up its CO2 quite quickly.

None of this is "rocket surgery" once you understand what you are trying to do. You can do some more precise arithmetic but it probably isn't necessary... Have fun!
Great info here, thank you very much for your detailed reply !!

From what I've read, cider calls for a bit more carbonation than beer. When carbing single bottles of beer I will go 3/4 Tbsp. (corn or table) sugar. When carbing cider I have a heavier hand and go for a heaping 3/4.

PS. Carb tabs work great. They're just more expensive than their counterpart - a measure spoon and sugar. I guess you pay for the convenience.

EDIT: It's been a while... It could be tsp, not Tbsp. I'll have to check

EDIT to the EDIT: It's Tsp. In fact, my notes say 1/2 tsp for beer 3/4 tsp (or heaping 1/2) for cider. Hope you didn't take my first line of advice and now I blew your house up.
Thank you for your reply, great name btw !!

Great info here, thank you very much for your detailed reply
Be careful with the volumes if you make a sugar/water mixture.

Mixing one cup water with one cup sugar will increase the total volume of the cup of water but it won't double the volume, the volume will be an estimated 12.44 fl. oz. (not 16 as one might expect).

Back