Carbonation in corney Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkey17

Reaction score
Hey Folks

ok here is where i am ,, i have a corny keg ,all the equipment(kegerator) and will be starting to keg my beer this week ,,have never done this before so not sure what psi to set the gas at

i have a mixed gas .. i have indian pale ale ...

what PSI should i set the regulator at to carbonate my Ale ...

anybody have any hints or tricks to get this first time kegging experiance a good one ,,i have heard that once i gas the ale i can roll the keg around that way i can drink the beer straight away ( is this true ) if not how long will i have to wait to drink the beer ,,

cheers

look at the sticky threads in the kegging forum. There is some good info on what PSI to use to get the desired level of carbonation, as well as info on how to properly size your lines to avoid loads of foaming in the glass when you pour.

Yeah... you can force carbonate and drink in a few minutes. I do it all the time. I am way to impatient to wait it out. I set the regulator at about 30psi and grab the top in my right hand and the bottom in my left and shake away. I usually shake for about 10 minutes, and have been getting fairly descent results. However after you shake/roll the keg, vent off any excess gas and let it sit for about 5 minutes. You will still get a glass of half chilled foam, but at least you can sample. I will caveat by saying there it no substitute for time. The last 3 batches I have force carbonated have greatly improving in carbonation consistency and flavor after a week or more in the fridge.

x2wdtoyotax & Walker cheers guys , thanks for that info ,, will try all this on thursday when im ready to keg ,,, have friends coming over the weekend we going to visit a new micro brewery just opened in the next town and then all back here to have a few Ale's lol ,,

so i plan to have a good sampling party saturday lol ,

I'm way too impatient to wait the 2 weeks and "set it and forget it" method. I set my keg in the kegerator at 38 deg and force carb for 36 hours at 30 psi. If it's not carbed enough I'll let it go another 8 or so hours, then set at 12 psi serving pressure. I don't bother shaking or anything like that. If I start on Wed morning the beer is ready for Friday night :rockin:

I reading this thread, I notice that sparkey17 stated:
---
i have a mixed gas .. i have indian pale ale ...
---
I believe this changes the whole dynamics of carbing and serving his beer.

What is the thinking on this one if it is indeed a nitro/co² mix? I know the common practices of just plain co² carbing is out the window with nitro.

You can do that, but you'll be drinking green beer. It takes at least a week for all of the chemical reactions that happen during carbonation to happen.

Agreed... thats what I was referring to with the "no substitution for time" thing. Its definitely an impatient mans way of tasting your beer. As with most things... beer almost always gets better with age.

Latest posts

Back