Carbonation Cap Quetion on CO2 Disolving...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KilhavenBrew

Reaction score
I learned the hard way that CO2 needs to dissolve into the beer after you bottle it. Otherwise, it foams up and overflows out of the bottle.

Using a Carbonation cap sounds easy. However, before I build a setup to carb artificially in this way, anyone have information on the time it takes to get the CO2 to dissolve in the beer?

or does artificial carbonation somehow work difference and not need the time to dissolve? I keep reading about people using Carb Caps and drinking the beer within a day. But I know it takes over a week to allow the CO2 to dissolve when I bottle.

The answer would also help me with knowing how many caps I need. Because if it only takes 24 hours, I could make enough beer in a week to last a week with seven 2 liter bottles.

What are these carb caps you speak of? We used tabs when we first started brewing, but they're just tabbed versions of normal priming sugar that still take the 3+ weeks to carb up...If there's something else out there thats supposed to work faster, I'm curious...

I've never heard of any carb drops being ready in 24hours. Hell, force carbing with a co2 tank can't REALLY be ready in 24hrs. It can, but not without side effects (carb bite for example). Carb drops from Coopers for example is basically just sugar in capsule form. 1 cap per 12oz is all you need. Bigger bottles require more drops, but that as mentioned takes 2-3 weeks to properly carb.

Beer has to absorb the co2 one way or the other whether it's from gas or sugar. co2 takes the path of least resistance. It fills the head space first and then is forced into solution. The colder the beer, the faster it will absorb into the liquid.

Are you referring to this kind of carbonation cap?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-carbonator-cap-using-gas-post-272900/

If so, you can carb a 2 liter in about 5 min.

Instructions:
-Fill bottle and leave some air in the top
-Depress valve on cap and squeeze all air out of bottle
- set to 30 psi, attach gas line to cap and shake. As you shake the liquid will absorb the co2, add as much co2 as you'd like. The 2 litre bottles are rated for 120 psi
-after you are satisfied with the amount of co2 in the bottle u can let it settle for a second and replace the carb cap with regular cap. the liquid will remain carbonated

I find the beer isnt as good as an 4 week old force carbed keg set at 12 psi 40 deg c, but when you are out of beer, sacrifices must be made.

Well color me embarassed...assumed he meant "drops" and made an ass outta me...

I stand corrected. Nice little widget if you're already geared up for kegging.

Are you referring to this kind of carbonation cap?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-carbonator-cap-using-gas-post-272900/

If so, you can carb a 2 liter in about 5 min.

Instructions:
-Fill bottle and leave some air in the top
-Depress valve on cap and squeeze all air out of bottle
- set to 30 psi, attach gas line to cap and shake. As you shake the liquid will absorb the co2, add as much co2 as you'd like. The 2 litre bottles are rated for 120 psi
-after you are satisfied with the amount of co2 in the bottle u can let it settle for a second and replace the carb cap with regular cap. the liquid will remain carbonated

I find the beer isnt as good as an 4 week old force carbed keg set at 12 psi 40 deg c, but when you are out of beer, sacrifices must be made.

YES, I was talking about this. Sounds like it somehow absorbs the CO2 in less time somehow? Is that because you shake it? Beer is never as good if you age it less. 4 weeks extra aging may be the reason why it is not as good?

Yes, shaking increases the surface area contact with the pressurized gas. People force carb a whole keg in an hour doing the same thing.

But you're right, rapid CO2 into solution is still a young/green beer, and often you get an acidic bite from the carbonic acid formed by the CO2 (which does go away).

With slow carbing you don't get CO2 bite, and the beer gets to age another week.

Still, it can be useful for tasting progress or when you blow foam and have people coming over.

It's really a tool used with the same equipment you would have when you're kegging. (Which may also be using the same process to carbonate 5 or so gallons of beer.) Using a co2 tank, regulator, gas line and connector, as well as the carbonator cap.

Generally, I use mine for making carbonated water for sodas. Also, When I fill a keg and am letting it carbonate and I have a bit of extra that didn't fit into the keg, then I will put it into a 2 liter or 12 oz bottle and force carb with the cap. Usually pressurizing and chilling. I'll still let it sit for 24 hours though before I test it to guess what the larger container will be like.

With sugar, your increased time is waiting for the yeast to consume the additional sugar, produce co2 as well as to clean up the byproducts that the yeast produced when first eating the sugar. (This also is said to contribute to the green beer flavor.)

With force carbing, you're introducing the co2 in a shorter amount of time and not letting the yeast create byproducts or co2.

Once the co2 is in the container by either method, then it just takes a bit of time for the co2 to dissolve into the water components of the beer. (for yeast driven co2, the co2 is mostly produced in the water bits anyways)

Pricewise, it's better just to get a keg rather than multiple carbonator caps. I only have multiple (2, or maybe 3) because I rotate sodas and soda water. I keep my beer in kegs in the meantime. Carbonator caps will run you 15 per. Kegs will run you around 50 give or take. The same co2 process applies to either.

Put the carbonator cap on the bottle (leave an air space), hold down the valve, and squeeze out the air. Attach the gas disconnect with 30psi of CO2 pressure. Wait until the bottle stops buzzing.

Remove the gas disconnect. Shake the crap out of the bottle.

Repeat as needed to reach the pressure you want.

For most beers, about 5 doses of CO2 will do it. For wheats, about 7 doses.

Let the bottle sit for a hour or two before serving. If doing multiple bottles, give it an extra dose, let it settle, then swap the cap for a regular cap.

I use this method to get a taste of the my new beers on kegging day.

:mug:

Back