Carbonating with a sodastream?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietro1022

Reaction score
Anyone tried this? basically a seltzer maker, but thought I would give it a shot on my gose.

I did some reading on that, the CO2 tanks have proprietary fittings that only the company can refill, and you have to send then back, and receive them via the company's private courier... (read EXPENSIVE)
The directions say that you can ONLY carbonate water, to make soft-drinks you carbonate the water first, then add the flavoring.

i have one of these sodastreams and one of the problems is that it's not possible to regulate the amount of CO2 so you end up hyper-carbonating the beer. even so i think it would be interesting to see what happens. as far as the canisters, my wife takes them to a local store and swaps them out, i forget what it costs, i want to say $8 but i really don't remember. we used to order them online and a courier would pick up the empties and leave full canisters but the local option has been working great.

No can do. As another posted has mentioned, you can't effectively regulate the CO2 and the Sodastream bottles are threaded onto the unit so it would be tough to do with any old bottle anyway. There also isn't a good way to clean the inner workings of the nozzle, it's meant to touch water only.

Back