carbonating root beer with US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
I had a small amount of US-05 that was harvested from an ale I brewed recently and decided to use this to carb some root beer. Made a 1 gallon batch split between (2) 2 liter bottles. Been sitting at room temperature now for 27 hours under the kitchen sick which probably remains around 69-73 degrees. Both bottles are already very firm. My question is how do you know when they are hard enough? Sure it's somewhat subjective. Reading posts from folks that have moved to the fridge after a 48 hours because the bottles were very hard only to find upon opening that they had not carbed up at all. For those of you that make RB all the time how do you judge when they are ready to go to the fridge. I am certainly in no rush but more concerned how long can these go before you need to worry about the integrity of the 2L bottles. I was planning on at least 48 hours and contemplating if maybe I should then put in the basement which sits around 62 degrees for the rest of the week to maybe slow the carbonation but not stall it. Thinking next time I may sanitize some smaller 16oz plastic bottles so I can open these every few days to check on the carbonation levels. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

I used 16 oz soda bottles mostly, but I went by "rock hard" as my guide when at room temperature. It works out well, with no bottle bombs at least for me!

I was thinking if I used an unopened soda, and judged the carbonation by how hard the root beer bottle was compared to the unopened soda bottle I might get close.
What do you think Yooper?

Back