Carbonating in growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuber

Reaction score
I have a small batch of beer that I made just for a party (2 gallons) and I don't really want to bother with cleaning bottles and stuff (lazy). I have a few metal growlers, two with the swingtop lids and one with a screw on lid. Can I just bottle in those? Will they hold carbonation?

I don't know what a "metal growler" is, but everything I've read has strongly discouraged carbonating in anything that wasn't specifically designed to withstand those pressures, i.e. kegs and standard beer/champagne bottles.

The swing top should be fine. If it's meant to hold beer and is stainless, it will hold beer-level carbonation. Just be careful opening the thing. I've seen some nice beersplosions with flip-tops when over-carbonated.

I've carbonated in a swing top before, it OK to do. I've also done it in a keg, the only issue is that you have to make sure the lid is completely sealed so that the CO2 does not escape while carbonating.

i've bottled with swing tops, and often experienced the best/quickest carbonation in those. granted they were brand new, so the seals were still in perfect shape.

Latest posts

Back