Carbonating hard cider with frozen AJC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philistine

Reaction score
I'm going to bottle 5.5 gallons of hard cider and I was planning on using one 12 ounce can of frozen apple juice concentrate instead of 5 ounces of corn sugar to carbonate it. Is that too much frozen concentrate for 5.5 Gallons (probably 5.25 into the bottling bucket)?

I will be using the soda bottle trick to help judge carbonation level. And I'm willing bottle pasteurize if necessary.

I used it about a month ago. had no bottle bombs yet... and I only had about 5 gallons rather than the 5.5. Its probably around the 2.5 CO2 per volume, as it was about the same bubbly as the sugar carbonated cider I made last batch.

I use it in almost all of my ciders, both for backsweetening and bottle carbing. As long as you keep an eye on things and cold crash or bottle pasteurize before the pressure gets too high, you should be good to go!

So far so good. Its been a week and a half and my soda bottle is just starting to build pressure. I'll let it go another two weeks and check a bottle for carbonation. Thanks for the feedback!

Follow up:

For some reason my hard cider did not carbonate. Yet the plastic soda bottle I used to judge carbonation is hard as a rock. They have a slight hiss when I opened them but no carbonation. I don't mind drinking them still, just wish they had carbonated. Next time I'll try two cans of frozen apple juice concentrate.

Latest posts

Back