Carbing pressure vs Serving pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I have two CO2 tank systems, one is my utility tank that I use for carbing my kegs, blowing out lines etc while the other is permanently hooked up to the kegerator and set at around 8 psi to push my beer (I have a 4-way manifold that splits the single line-in to the 4 kegs)

So what I'm wondering is, with different styles requiring different carbonation levels (standard ale vs a saison vs a bavariun wheat or lambic or something like that), what will happen if I carb them all to their ideal pressure for their style using my utility tank but then serve them all at the same psi once they are carbed up? Will the higher carbed ones lose carbonation over time? And if so is it a gradual process or does it happen rather quickly?

thanks

Within a few days they all end up at whatever the pressure is set to on the regulator feeding them. You may see some extra foaming while they balance themselves out.

You would need a primary regulator or a secondary regulator for each serving pressure. I use 2 primary regs on my upright keezer. Everything but one or 2 'special' kegs get 12 psi, the special ones are at whatever pressure I have the 2nd regulator set too.

Not only will all of the kegs drift towards whatever single pressure you're feeding them, highly carbonated kegs dispensed at significantly lower pressure will be outgassing "excess" CO2 until they reach equilibrium with the rest of the kegs. CO2 bubbles beget more bubbles and you can end up with a cascade effect that leads to half-glass pours...

Cheers!

Back