Carbing help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I have brewed or had anything on tap. I set my CO2 at 12 PSI beer temp is around 36. How long should it take to carb a keg? I used to quick carb everything but way over carbed my last batch so I just stuck a keg in the keezer and hooked up the gas. I have no idea how long it will take.

My 2 cents... Let it go for 1.5-2 weeks and you good. I always end up testing it out after a week just to see where I'm at with it. Hope this helps

Did you run several pressurize and vent (purge) cycles on the keg before going to "set and forget"? If you didn't purge the headspace of air, your effective CO2 pressure (more rigorously the CO2 partial pressure) will be less than the gauge pressure. If this in the case, then you will not get the carb level you are looking for.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
Found the plot from Bobby's original post in this thread

5970be7036f823f045eaded0b3198501.gif

My experience corresponds to the green line. ~2.5 weeks to equilibrium with a full 5.0 gallons in a corney keg...

Cheers!

Did you run several pressurize and vent (purge) cycles on the keg before going to "set and forget"? If you didn't purge the headspace of air, your effective CO2 pressure (more rigorously the CO2 partial pressure) will be less than the gauge pressure. If this in the case, then you will not get the carb level you are looking for.

Yes 5 pounds...purge.......5 pounds ..... purge......30 PSI and put in the keezer at 12

Yes 5 pounds...purge.......5 pounds ..... purge......30 PSI and put in the keezer at 12
Two pressurize and vent cycles at 5 psi will remove less than 1/2 of the air in the headspace. This is not an adequate purge process. The table below shows the remaining O2 in the headspace after various numbers of purges at several pressures. The fraction of original air remaining is equal to the fraction of original O2 remaining. For good carbonation you want the residual air to be less than 5% of original headspace, or about 10,000 ppm O2 in the table. For oxidation avoidance with hoppy beers (esp. NEIPA's) you want the residual O2 to be less than 0.15 ppm (or 12 - 13 purges at 30 psi)!

ppm O2 after purge table-2.png

Back