carbination drop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc0811

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my pear cider using carbonation drops, my question is that on the package it calls for 1 drop per a 12 oz. bottle. My bottles are 15.2 oz. will one drop be enough?

Plenty. I use the carb drops in 12 oz bottles and they really over carb my beer. That should give you the perfect amount of carb.

How long does it take to carb up? How long should I let them sit before drinking to get nice carb?

How long does it take to carb up? How long should I let them sit before drinking to get nice carb?

Depends on the beer. The higher alcohol, the longer it will take to carb. I usually have good carbonated beer within a week and a half or two.

ah ha!!!! so these ones are in the 8.5-10% range. Had PET bottles hard with little movement when squeezed and popped a top on one bottle to find it overflowing (but only lost maybe a tablespoon. Pasteurized and a few days later - no carb in either bottles I have opened. Do you think that that will change over the next weeks? The bottles did have a hiss to them upon opening so there was pressure there.

ah ha!!!! so these ones are in the 8.5-10% range. Had PET bottles hard with little movement when squeezed and popped a top on one bottle to find it overflowing (but only lost maybe a tablespoon. Pasteurized and a few days later - no carb in either bottles I have opened. Do you think that that will change over the next weeks? The bottles did have a hiss to them upon opening so there was pressure there.

If you pasteurized, then you killed the yeast, which is what produces the CO2 that carbonates your cider. Probably won't change.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend pasteurizing in PET bottles. If you add hot water (or tea/coffee) to a soda bottle, it will shrink and deform. I wonder if the pasteurization process caused some deformation (or change in permeability) that resulted in the loss of carbonation during the process?

Back