Carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knoxgoalie

Reaction score
My beer is severely undercarbed, there's no foam at all...don't know if this is recommended but I was thinking maybe I should uncap, add some more priming sugar and recap. any other suggestions? It's been in the bottle for 12 days now.

My beer is severely undercarbed, there's no foam at all...don't know if this is recommended but I was thinking maybe I should uncap, add some more priming sugar and recap. any other suggestions? It's been in the bottle for 12 days now.

I'd give it some more time to carb. Couple questions:

What style beer is it? (some take longer to fully carb).
How much sugar (and what kind) did you use for 5 gallons?
At what temperature are you letting them condition? (if it's too cold, it will put the yeast to sleep or take longer to carb).

onipar said:
I'd give it some more time to carb. Couple questions:

What style beer is it? (some take longer to fully carb).
How much sugar (and what kind) did you use for 5 gallons?
At what temperature are you letting them condition? (if it's too cold, it will put the yeast to sleep or take longer to carb).

It's a heineken clone. I used the 3/4 cup of the priming sugar that came with the kit. And it's at about 75 degrees,

It's a heineken clone. I used the 3/4 cup of the priming sugar that came with the kit. And it's at about 75 degrees,

Hmmm, well, it's the right amount of sugar and it's at the right temp, plus it's not a very dark or heavy beer, so everything seems about right. Give it another week at least and see if there are any changes. It should improve. :mug:

Would a warmer temperature help? It's in my basement now, I could find somewhere warmer maybe

Honestly 75 degrees should be fine. I usually try to keep my bottles somewhere between 70-80 degrees. I'll even let them sit lower at 65, but I wouldn't want them much hotter.

You're bottles haven't even been conditioning 2 weeks yet, so they are still young. I've had bottles carb up okay in 2 weeks, but you might as well give them 3-4 before worrying about it.

I'm wondering, are they bubbly, but just don't have good head yet? Or are they completely flat? Oh, another thing I forgot to ask, how long did you chill it before testing? A good 48 hours to chill will help the CO2 reabsorb into the liquid.

onipar said:
Honestly 75 degrees should be fine. I usually try to keep my bottles somewhere between 70-80 degrees. I'll even let them sit lower at 65, but I wouldn't want them much hotter.

You're bottles haven't even been conditioning 2 weeks yet, so they are still young. I've had bottles carb up okay in 2 weeks, but you might as well give them 3-4 before worrying about it.

I'm wondering, are they bubbly, but just don't have good head yet? Or are they completely flat? Oh, another thing I forgot to ask, how long did you chill it before testing? A good 48 hours to chill will help the CO2 reabsorb into the liquid.

Yea, they definitely have some bubbling going on..,no head at all though. I chilled it for like 3 days. I guess I have to be more patient. It's my first brew so I've been very impatient

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

If you just arbitrarily put them in the cold at three weeks, without making sure they were carbed to begin with, then you've prevented them from carbing further.

Yeast go to sleep in the cold, they don't carb your beer. SO of coulrse you beer is stuck uncarbed right where you put them into the fridge.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

patience is key, I have had a few lighter beers take extra time to carb after letting them sit in the primary for close to a month. I am thinking the yeast is slowed down/hibernating and takes a little extra time to get back into gear. /my two cents

the easiest way to add priming sugar after bottling would to use the muntons or coopers carb tabs. I would give it time though... ever brew is slightly different!

the easiest way to add priming sugar after bottling would to use the muntons or coopers carb tabs. I would give it time though... ever brew is slightly different!

If you already added sugar, unless you want bottle bombs, there is no need to add any more. The problem is not with the sugar, it's with the yeast. The sugar hasn't been consumed by the yeast YET, SINCE IT'S ONLY BEEN 12 DAYS and not the 3 weeks that beers usually take.

Again, there's nothing wrong, and nothing to fix, just patience.

Yea, they definitely have some bubbling going on..,no head at all though. I chilled it for like 3 days. I guess I have to be more patient. It's my first brew so I've been very impatient

Cool, cool. Yeah, sounds like we covered everything, so it should just be a matter of waiting. Cheers, and let us know how it comes! :mug:

Back