carb problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubbs5150

Reaction score
my last three brews i've bottled and have used the same procedure...sanitized with an iodine solution, used coopers carb drops, sat at room temp for two weeks. The wit carbed fine, but the last two are very under carbonated. an irish ale and pale ale. the only difference is i used wyeast 1450 on the irish and pale. Could the yeast be the problem? the same amount of priming sugar with the drops in each bottle, the only diff is the yeast.

I've not used the drops, selecting to actually make a priming solution for each batch. I'd suggest going the more traditional route for a few batches to see the results. I would also use the carbonation calculation tools available to make sure you're adding enough sugar to the brew before bottling it up. If the brew is warmer, you'll need more sugar than if it's cooler...

i've done both...the question i had was, of the three brews, all of them with coopers drops, target attenuated, the two with wyeast 1450 didn't carb but the witbier did....could it be the yeast?

How high in ABV were the two using 1450? I've never used 1450, so can't say if what you're seeing is part of it's nature or not.

I would say that if you actually measure out the sugar yourself, you don't need to wonder if it's the carb drops, the yeast, the temperature of the wort, the phase of the moon, SWMBO giving the brew the 'evil eye' or any number of other things.

Personally, I wouldn't trust my brew to some sugar drops... Could be you got a couple of questionable bags. Or they were in the warehouse too long. Or the mix wasn't as precise as the other bags. Too many variables, for me, to make me comfortable with using them. At least when I measure out the sugar, and make the priming solution, I KNOW how much sugar is going into the batch...

Latest posts

Back