CaraWheat vs. Caramel 40

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langdonk1

Reaction score
Does the carawheat give off the same sweetness as C40? How are they similar? How are they different? Thnx

Carawheat is essentially wheat malted in a similar method to Crystal malt, which is barley; wheat tends to have more proteins so it will result in a cloudier beer, it also produces a thicker mouthfeel. In terms of taste, Carawheat and Crystal 40L will be similar, but the Carawheat will have a bit more of that earthy wheat flavor instead of the cleaner barley flavor.

I recently made an American Pale Ale using 10lb Pale Ale malt and .5lb of Briess Caracrystal wheat, plus a total of 4.5oz of Chinook hops (3oz late kettle, 1.5oz dry hop).

It was a very tasty beer, but I didn't get quite as much caramel flavor out of the Caracrystal Wheat as I would have expected from the equivalent Crystal 40. It sure disappeared quickly though!

Might be fun to try comparing the two with each other. I know that for example Midnight Wheat has an extremely mild flavor but seems to really improve head retention, as compared with Dehusked Carafa III.

Latest posts

Back