Caramelize citrus first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kolchek

Reaction score
Adding citrus to beer is nothing new, but has anyone ever caramelized the citrus before adding? I'm thinking that it might add a new twist.
Opinions?

When you say caramelize, what process are you talking about? Are you going to roast the fruit in an oven? Sear it in a pan? Torch it with a blowtorch? Or maybe coat it in sugar and then do any of those processes above? I would be worried about adding to much of the burnt sugar notes to the beer but used sparingly it could be tasty.

Yeah, I meant roast the fruit in the oven. Not overly "burnt", I was thinking caramelized blood orange might work well in an red.

I've carmelized orange juice by just boiling on the stove. That was for a soda but the principle should still be the same. It was mighty tasty but butt ugly.

Haze is the rage as much as the bird is the word.
i like the idea, do it and please report back.people do it with coriander and coconut i dont see why it wouldn't contribute something unique.

Forgot all about this post.
I tried caramelising a couple blood oranges in the oven just to taste before brewing, & it tasted like regular oranges. I didn't bother going through with it.
Instead I did a split batch of a red ipa, half as standard & the other half I added pomegranate juice. It was nice, it added a syrupy sweet-tartness, just as you'd expect pomegranate would. It also added a slight pink hue to the red.
Would definitely do it again, but again not a whole batch.

Back