Carahell or Crystal 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
Could I sub Crystal 10 instead of using Carahell malt? I'm going to be brewing an IPA based off of the grain bill of Total Domination and it calls for Carahell, but I have C10 in stock.

carahell is some awesome stuff. I use it in my dead guy ale clone. I think light crystal is a great substitute however.

Great, thank you. Here's what I've got cooked up:

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/5/2011
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Brewer: Tom
Boil Size: 8.76 gal
Boil Time: 75 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 56.25 %
6.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 37.50 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
1.25 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 36.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.40 %] (30 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.40 %] (15 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG

I'm going to call it "Great Golden Hopulations" taken from a Doors/Jim Morison song.

EPIC WIN for the name.

Thought I might get more flak for NEVER having heard of carahell, thanks for the respectful instruction!

Carahell sounds like a place that ONLY serves SMASHes made with crystal 10L and saaz hops.......

Thanks. Heading to Louisville next month, any breweries worth touring? Toured Jim Beam last year.

BBC taproom downtown is worth viewing.

New Albanian is within reach and AWESOME IMHO. My basement rocks, but isn't publicly open yet.;)

also, with the last halloween bash, my basement is sitting near EMPTY.:mug:

PM me with any questions of where to stay or what else to see.

Just a note on reading the Weyermann infromation. At the website given by greenbirds, it says the Carahell has a lovibond (L) of 8.1 - 11.8. This is one of two units of color measurement for malt (EBC units being the other) and is the same units as crystal 10 with the "10" referring to the color in lovibond. When a malting company make crystal malts, it is very difficult to control color to an exact value in the roasting process. All crystal malts or higher color malts (Above say 5 L) have a range of color like reported for Carahells. The crystal 10 has this same range but it is targeted for about a 10 L color.

Dr Malt :mug:

Back