Cap goes Bang

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerN

Reaction score
I’ve just opened a month old bottle of beer and when I popped the cap it made a BANG :eek: , akin to the noise a champagne cork makes but louder.
Once I’d regained my composure, checked for snipers and realised I really needed this beer now I noticed the beer wasn’t overflowing out of the top like you’d expect after such an explosion.
Now I’ve opened a few beers in my time and haven’t experienced this phenomenon before. Is it that unusual?
I’m now plucking up the courage to open another. Perhaps the more I drink the fear will diminish?

was it a big bottle? i've had my litre bottles make that huge bang when i open them after they've sat for a month. what was the temp of the bottle? it tasted alright no?

It was a 500ml bottle and it had been stored in the garage where the temp. is about 15 degree's C.
It is from a Belgian kit by Brewferm and tasted delish. :D
Sorry for using European measurments but I am one.(Tony Blair says so)

Cheers,

Roger.

lol @tony blair!

the big ones always seem to go bang for me too, i think it's just cause they have more volume under pressure than a smaller bottle.

Whats a flippie? a crown cap?
The first time I came across screw top beer bottles was in the States.
Took some working out after a few "normal Ones". But it entertained the locals. :eek:

Roger.

No. "Flippies" are the wire and ceramic (plastic lately) caps with the rubber gaskets that are used all over Europe, like Grolsch bottles.

I have cases of German flippies and Grolsch bottles that I've collected/transported from Europe over the years.

Hi Roger,

What Belgian kit?
I bottled 15 litres (European measures again !!) of the Ambriorix red beer last night into the big 750 ml Hoegaarden bottles.

80/-

80/-,
Careful mate mine was Brewferm Ambiorix too!
I can't get enough of em, I've got Diabolo fermenting away at the moment.
Next up is Oud Vlaams Bruin.

Roger.

RogerN said:
Sorry for using European measurments but I am one.(Tony Blair says so)

Sure.. you brits get us hooked on the "English" system which doesn't make any sense at all, then switch to metric leaving us standing here looking stupid ;)

How is it we can be a world "superpower" but still need a slide-rule to bake a cake?

it really is a phenom of the physics involved... there is a considerably larger volume under pressure, but it is being released through an opening as large as your typical 12 oz or 355 mL bottle opening... it's gonna make a nice pop-bang... :)

Kephren said:
leaving us standing here looking stupid ;)

I know most people here have a sense of humour but I'll refrain from passing a witty comment on that one in case some don't. :D

Ken,

Hope Roger doesn't mind me responding - but the onsite store is one he recommended to me.

http://tinyurl.com/88zkm

Should take you to the right section of Hop and Grape - based in Darlington in the UK and therefore in £ not Euros.

They are made by a Belgian company (see http://www.brewferm.be/) and you might be able to buy in Euros from there, or to find out their agents in Ireland.

I've got a batch of the Abbey waiting for a spare fermentation bin - I'll age it until Christmas when it should make a fantastic beer for supping oncold winter nights :D

80/-

thanks a kazillion mate, I LOVE belgians (the beer - the only belgian person I know is a a bloke, so I only like him ;)). anything there that resembles Delerium Tremens, Duvel, Judas or Barbar? (not looked at the site yet!)
Cheers
Ken
edit - looked at the site. diablo looks like Duvel. Thats on the list. and the Christmas one. If I brew it soon it should be a wicked "Happy Xmas" pressie for friends....
pity about the small sizes though - 7L, 9L..... what happened to 22L??? oh well. just have to get 2 so. Can you just double the amount like that???

pity about the small sizes though - 7L, 9L..... what happened to 22L??? oh well. just have to get 2 so. Can you just double the amount like that???

The small sizes are due to the amount of extract needed to get the flavours in the final product. No reason why you couldn't double them up to make a larger batch.

In the instructions that come with the kit, it suggests using candied sugar instead of standard cane sugar or glucose to impart a bit more flavour.

Candied sugar is used fairly extensively in producing the dark Belgian ales

HTH

80/-

I'm a big fan of Belgian ales and am brewing Diabalo at the moment in the hope it will be close to Duvel.
I always use candy sugar when doing these kits, it is also available from the Hop & Grape.
Top Tip try and leave these beers for as long as poss. the wait is well worth it.
I emailed Brewferm and asked them which kit was the nearest to Saison Dupont. I got a very nice reply back suggesting I use the Gold kit and a Saison yeast Whitelabs WLP565 - Belgian Saison Yeast should do nicely I think. Another one for the "to do list".

Roger.

Yeah they've been helpful emailing me back with shipping quotes direct! Also asked for a recommendation for Delirium Tremens, Barbar, Piraat and Judas. Will see what they say. Nice girl Tatianna looking after me. Possibly cheaper from hop and grape - asked them for a shipping quote - 21 euro from belgium dammit :(

kenmc said:
Yeah they've been helpful emailing me back with shipping quotes direct! Also asked for a recommendation for Delirium Tremens, Barbar, Piraat and Judas. Will see what they say. Nice girl Tatianna looking after me. Possibly cheaper from hop and grape - asked them for a shipping quote - 21 euro from belgium dammit :(

Tatianna!!! I got Dirk :mad: That must be what they call the luck of the Irish :D
Let me know what the reply is please Ken.
I just bought a bottle of Piraat the other day. Along with a Gulden Draak, Timmermans Framboise and a Saison Pipaix.

Did ya go to the porterhouse - right around the corner from that (well close by anyway). it's a microbrewery, sell all their own beers on draught and they have a beer menu with loads of bottled beers from all over the world - russia, oz, belgium, japan, china, thailand, germany, france, mexico..... the list goes on and on. my fav pub in all the land. If only they had Hoegaarden on tap like in some places though, then it'd be perfect - I'd have my mail redirected! :)

Back