Fermenter cap broken in day 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luizffgarcia

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a problem i am not sure how to deal with.

I have this beer fermenting for 11 days now https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

My understanding is this is a very oxygen sensitive beer, and yesterday i just noticed that for some reason the fermenter cap cracked by itself, and because of the tension i put in screwing it it bent a little, so it was half way opened letting a lot of oxygen in.

I replaced the cap and now i am not sure what to do, its a 1 gallon batch so the headspace represent a good percentage of the total volume. I had already dry hopped it heavily so there was a layer of dissolved pallets floating.

I am thinking:

1 - Let the thing be, add the second dry hop, wait for the time to cold crash, keg and prey;
2 - Cold crash tonight and keg first thing in the morning then force carbonate shaking the thing like there is no tomorrow, to push as much CO2 as i can and try to avoid oxidation.

For either option it will only work as long as there is no infection, which i hope for since the beer already has 6.5% abv on it.

Thanks for the help

How long was it open? If not for days, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is not that easy to oxidize a beer. Many people do open fermentation without oxidation issues.

Why do you think that recipe is any more oxygen sensitive than any other one?

Infection should not be an issue either unless you stirred things up a lot, or put something not sanitized into the beer.

It is probably ready to package. I don't think you want a second dry hop unless that is something you intended to do.
You can cold crash and force carbonate if you want to but it is not needed for the circumstances of the broken cap.

I don't really see any problem here.

How long was it open? If not for days, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is not that easy to oxidize a beer. Many people do open fermentation without oxidation issues.

Why do you think that recipe is any more oxygen sensitive than any other one?

Infection should not be an issue either unless you stirred things up a lot, or put something not sanitized into the beer.

It is probably ready to package. I don't think you want a second dry hop unless that is something you intended to do.
You can cold crash and force carbonate if you want to but it is not needed for the circumstances of the broken cap.

I don't really see any problem here.

It was open for maybe 48h, not sure can be 24h...

Reading the thread people say this style is the most sensitive to oxygen, so much you should not bottle at all, just keg. That is what i read anyways :)

The recipe calls for a second dry hop, since the first one was at day 4 of fermentation.

Ok good, i really hope that is the case, now that you mentioned i do remember seeing some open fermentation chambers, but they do have a proper environment to prevent particles and all. I will just follow the original plan then and add the second round of dryhops! Thanks for the help

I don't think that beer is any more oxygen sensitive than other ales. IMO it is the dry hopping that potentially exposes the beer to more oxygen which is why you might consider dry hopping in the primary at the end of fermentation while C02 is still being produced. I don't think having a completely sealed primary fermenter is going to appreciably reduce oxidation of the wort. Lots of breweries, including German lager brewer Augustiner Brau, do their primary fermentation in completely open vessels.

With CO2 being generated at that time there is positive pressure on the fermentor keeping oxygen out.

Back