Can't increase pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
First keg and can't be past halfway but I noticed the pressure dropped from about 12-13psi to about 10psi. Tried turning it up but the pressure won't increase at all. Valve on bottle is completely open. Regulator seems to be completely open. Gotta leak?

BTW, I have the bottle in the fridge with the keg. Buddy told me that would be fine and I can't figure it wouldn't be.

Just trying to confirm what is happening. Am I missing something?

close the valve right after the regulator (on the keg/low pressure side) before making pressure adjustments. if there is a lot of headspace in the keg, or a lot of hose to run thru, pressure adjustments on the regulator will not register immediately and you can overshoot it. once you set the regulator to the pressure you want, open the valve and walk away and it will equal out on its own.

if you are trying to lower the pressure, you need to turn the regulator way down, release some pressure in the lines to below the point you want, and then adjust upwards. adjusting downwards doesnt register on the gauge because gas cant be forced back into the bottle.

having the main tank inside the refigerator is perfectly fine and makes no difference.

if you are trying to lower the pressure, you need to turn the regulator way down, release some pressure in the lines to below the point you want, and then adjust upwards. adjusting downwards doesnt register on the gauge because gas cant be forced back into the bottle.

Not quite the right way. If you are lowering the pressure:

1) Turn off the valve between the regulator and the keg, if so equipped, otherwise remove the CO2 connector that goes to the keg.
2) Release most of the pressure on the keg. This will prevent a blackflow from the keg to the regulator.
3) Lower the pressure on the regulator, until your desired pressure if dialed in. The regulator should release some extra CO2 while you dial down.
4) Reopen the valve to the keg/reattach the connector to the keg.
5) Do a final adjustment (usually up) to precisely dial in the desired pressure.

M_C

Not quite the right way. If you are lowering the pressure:

1) Turn off the valve between the regulator and the keg, if so equipped, otherwise remove the CO2 connector that goes to the keg.
2) Release most of the pressure on the keg. This will prevent a blackflow from the keg to the regulator.
3) Lower the pressure on the regulator, until your desired pressure if dialed in. The regulator should release some extra CO2 while you dial down.
4) Reopen the valve to the keg/reattach the connector to the keg.
5) Do a final adjustment (usually up) to precisely dial in the desired pressure.

M_C

That doesn't work on all regs, since some of them won't release the pressure as you turn it down. I do agree that it's a good idea to vent the keg first to prevent potential backflow and/or bad pressure readings though.

That doesn't work on all regs, since some of them won't release the pressure as you turn it down. I do agree that it's a good idea to vent the keg first to prevent potential backflow and/or bad pressure readings though.

2) Lower the pressure on the regulator, until your desired pressure is dialed in. The regulator should release some extra CO2 while you dial down, OR, release the pressure by unhooking and purging from the gas-in fitting.

Fixed it.

M_C

Somewhere I have a leak. Finding it is going to be fun. I took the bottle with the regulator to get it filled again yesterday. He dropped it in a water tank and showed no leaks. So it is apparently somewhere between the regulator and the dispenser end.

Question: I am using a "picnic tap" until I have the time to doctor up my fridge to accept the faucet tap. Due to a couple of occurences, I am led to believe just that could be a source of a slow and steady pressure leak. Opinions? Past experiences?

Somewhere I have a leak. Finding it is going to be fun. I took the bottle with the regulator to get it filled again yesterday. He dropped it in a water tank and showed no leaks. So it is apparently somewhere between the regulator and the dispenser end.

Question: I am using a "picnic tap" until I have the time to doctor up my fridge to accept the faucet tap. Due to a couple of occurences, I am led to believe just that could be a source of a slow and steady pressure leak. Opinions? Past experiences?

The picnic tap is an unlikely culprit since it would be most likely be leaking beer, not gas. Just work your way from the regulator forward testing each joint or connection. Submerge anything you can in water, and spray soapy water on everything else. Good luck!

The picnic tap is an unlikely culprit since it would be most likely be leaking beer, not gas. Just work your way from the regulator forward testing each joint or connection. Submerge anything you can in water, and spray soapy water on everything else. Good luck!

Like he said.

Possible sources are:

- Regulator hook-up threads
- Gauge thread
- Regulator exhaust valve
- hose barb thread
- hose barb / hose clamp
- hose clamp / gas-in fitting
- both posts on the keg (poppets, thread, etc)

M_C

Back