Can't contain my excitement!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, good luck. I am where you are but am still in research and equipment acquisition phase at this point. Go do it! I may be closer behind you in timing.

I am gonna revive this post because I am fixin to do my first biab. I have been brewing extracts for about 18 months now and have brewed easy, intermediate, and advanced all with decent results. I bought an Amber as my first ag kit. This post just lit a fire under me and now I want to do it.

Thanks to everyone for all the information and positive feedback.
Awesome, good luck. I am where you are but am still in research and equipment acquisition phase at this point. Go do it! I may be closer behind you in timing.

Good luck guys. You'll do great and have a blast. I've now done about 31/32 all-grain BIAB's since I started. I have no intention of slowing down either.

Kdogg, all you need is a pot and a bag, the paint strainers work (I hear, I currently use an Anvil Foundry 10.5 all in one). So get some grain and brew!!! :mug:

Kdogg, all you need is a pot and a bag, the paint strainers work... So get some grain and brew!!! :mug:
Done!
Citra SMASH IPA from byo.com recipe. Maris Otter pale ale malt and 3oz of Citra including dry hop should be a good one to start with! Home brew supply store hooked me up with the bag and grains, and the rest is.. Well, in the fermentor bubbling now!

Thanks for the push, well worth the long brew day. I just wish I have a better way to chill my 5G full wort in the rain outside without having to waste so much water!

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_224748773.jpg
    IMG_20210724_224748773.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210724_214932008.jpg
    IMG_20210724_214932008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210724_180955860_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210724_180955860_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210724_161843390.jpg
    IMG_20210724_161843390.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Done!
Citra SMASH IPA from byo.com recipe. Maris Otter pale ale malt and 3oz of Citra including dry hop should be a good one to start with! Home brew supply store hooked me up with the bag and grains, and the rest is.. Well, in the fermentor bubbling now!

Thanks for the push, well worth the long brew day. I just wish I have a better way to chill my 5G full wort in the rain outside without having to waste so much water!

Awesome!!!!

I just wish I have a better way to chill my 5G full wort in the rain outside without having to waste so much water!

if you don't mind waiting, you can do no-chill. I let the wort chill overnight in the fermenter and pitch the yeast the next day.

Interesting, so lid on, room temp inside or?
Lid on to keep bacteria and insects out. Where do you have a safe place for this? I might put mine in the basement instead of outside to keep bears and raccoons from trying to drink it at this time of year. Winter it might go outside if it isn't too cold.

Interesting, so lid on, room temp inside or?

yes, lid on and airlock in place. I ferment in my basement so I just set it up down there (I don’t yet have any other temp control other than my fairly consistently temped basement), pop the lid in the morning, give it a good few shakes and/or stirs, then pitch. I also hated the amount of water it felt like I was wasting (and my municipal water bills ain’t cheap!).

I have been advised to not use an airlock when doing a no chill beer. At least not an airlock filled with liquid in it. As the wort cools, it can suck the liquid into your beer. Better to use a material that can breathe and pass air in both directions. Like cotton.

I have been advised to not use an airlock when doing a no chill beer. At least not an airlock filled with liquid in it. As the wort cools, it can suck the liquid into your beer. Better to use a material that can breathe and pass air in both directions. Like cotton.
Well first of all, the rate of suckback will be slow enough that a double-bubble airlock will not spit sanitizer into the batch. But the bubbles of air can still carry mold spores, etc. I'd suggest stuffing a sanitizer-soaked cotton ball in the top of the airlock under the cap.

Dude I'm so envious, the first batch is so sweet. I'm looking forward to bringing someone new into brewing so I can experience it with them all over again. Happy trails!

gotta teach them old, or young. if their 21-28, they will just like BMC....or heaven forbid, be drinking $20 4-packs of 'cool' craft beer, while they can't even pay the bills....

gotta teach them old, or young. if their 21-28, they will just like BMC....or heaven forbid, be drinking $20 4-packs of 'cool' craft beer, while they can't even pay the bills....
Au contraire Mon Frere, lots of millennials geek out on brewing talk. I kinda wish the marketing in HB industry was a bit more contemporary. Ads showing beer dorks in ball caps giving the finger to each other are sadly off the mark. Toxic masculinity doesn't make good beer, passionate enthusiasts do. Attitude and ego are weird distractions. Millennials buy authenticity and honesty.

Banner at the top of page:
Ss Brew Tech, "engineering better beer" over a crappy cad rendering. How about a photo of the conical instead of it floating in space? Maybe it's in a farmhouse brewery setting, or even in a Joe schmo suburban garage brewery. Sheesh.

Also, 'engineered beer'?
My litmus test for evaluating marketing messaging: would it sell cheese or lingerie? In this case, nope.

never had that be an issue, maybe because it is chilling at a much slower rate than cold crashing (definitely loosen airlock)?

Back