can't believe i did this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbuck57

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing jamil's chocolate hazelnut porter, after chilling down to 95 degrees I relized that i forgot to add the chocolate nibs to the last few minutes of the boil. So i threw them in and am now reheating wort to a boil. will i be ok, or did i just ruin the batch. Any input will be appreciated.

I have never used chocolate in a beer, but I don't honestly think you can mess one up during the boil. Don't worry.... you still have time to mess it up during the ferment or the bottling and carbing.

Definitely shouldnt be ruined. As long as you didnt add any yeast before you boiled you will get fermentation and beer! I would say your fine! RDWHAHB

No i did not add yeast yet, and the chocolate nibs came with the kit Thanks for the input, i feel better

You might have been able to just pull out a little bit, boil w/nibs, cool & add - save you the time of re-boiling the whole shebang. Don't know how that would have affected the flavor, if cocoa is like hops and the volume you boil in affects utilization.

Brewing is a pretty forgiving hobby when you think about it. I don't doubt that it'll be perfect. It becomes beer when the yeast has a go at it. You'll be fine.

Back