Canned Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spendy, but they are doing a lot of the work for you. I didn't see a price, but $7.99 for 4 liters of starter as mentioned above is pretty steep.
Other easy options are using Malta, OG 1.045, for the fermentables @$1.29 or less per 12 oz bottle, which would work out similar in cost, or saving/canning wort from a prior mash.

Its for your yeast starter. Its not LME.
dump can into your sanitized flask and add yest.

Or you can boil some water and add DME. bring to a boil and cool for a lot cheaper.

I have 5 pint mason jars in the basement full of sterile wort. Cost 3-4 bucks in DME for the whole lot. I can't imagine paying 8 bucks for one pint.

Saw that too. While I like the idea, the price is too much for me. Turns first generation into a $15 pitch...

Offer LHBSs a lower price for out-of-date LME and use that for starters. Dirt cheap. Once opened, tho, keep in freezer or under N2 or CO2, unless you like mold. Even moldy, boil the starter wort and you're ok.

This does appear to be 1.080 wort, so it's not quite so bad. But still a crapload more expensive than the old fashioned way.

Back