Canned Papaya beer query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Smith

Reaction score
Hi guys,
A local shop has 5kg cans of papaya on sale for veryyyy cheap. I was thinking of making a simple pale ale then racking off onto the papaya for secondary fermentation (or just adding late in primary to save the hassle of racking).

My question involves if there's any issues with the ingredients in the canned papaya, there is citric acid and some kind of salt (can't remember which) used a preservatives. Are either of these going to ruin the beer in some way?

The only way i can presume is if the citric acid makes the beer too acidic for the yeast but i cannot imagine the can of papaya is acidic enough to cause that.

Thanks!

Depending on the amount of salt, it could affect head retention. My only 2 cents is this: all of the money you can spend on a batch of beer negates the cost savings on bargain papaya if the batch does go south.

We need to know what preservatives are in it.

Salt doesn't automatically mean sodium chloride.
I'm 99% sure it is sodium chloride, I can't imagine which preservative salts would have too much affect. Can you?

Papaya itself can affect head retention. Papain is a proteolytic enzyme present in papaya. It will break up longer chain proteins that aid in head retention.

There are salts that inhibit yeast and are commonly used as preservatives in food:
Potassium sorbate
Sodium benzoate
I checked again and it's calcium Chloride, so i bought some.
I have never used canned fruit in a beer before, would you puree it or just add it whole?
And would i have to steralise it first or am i under the impression canned fruit is sterile before it is canned?

Canned fruit will have been pasteurized or sterilized, so you won't need to worry about pasteurizing it.

Generally it's good to have the fruit in small chunks, or at least mashed a little. Pureed fruit can be difficult to separate from the beer.

Latest posts

Back