Cane sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
i'm going to do a porter this weekend. the recipe calls for .75lbs of cane sugar. hmmmmmm, beer tools description gives it a somewhat cidery taste to beer, if i remember correctly. i''m a little scared of this one and thinking of switching it with molasses. i've brewed with molasses in the past and loved it.

anyone use sugar in other brews? what was the outcome?

just noticed, this post is probably in the wrong spot

I've used cane sugar in several beers, most recently in a Saison. I use an organic pure cane sugar from my hippie natural food store. I'm not sure about the "cidery" part, but I find that what I use leaves the slightest carmel flavor, mostly detectable in an otherwise lighter beer than a porter.

It's essentially just the leftover non-fermentable sugars that contribute flavor to the finished beer. I'm starting to think of sugars as a spectrum.

On one far end is corn sugar: you will get alcohol and almost no flavor. I mean, just taste the stuff, it's very "clean".

Table sugar has slightly more flavor, but hardly anything.

Cane sugar seems like the next step.

Then comes Turbinado, Demarera, and Sucanat. These will contribute significantly more flavor as they contain more non-fermentable sugars.

Molasses is probably pretty far to the other side of the spectrum, it should leave behind some nice flavors. I've used it in a porter with nice effect.

Man, there's just so many fun things to put into beer.

What recipe is it? If it's for a lighter belgian beer I'd go with the cane sugar. If it's something darker like a porter go with molasses.

beer tools description gives it a somewhat cidery taste to beer, if i remember correctly. i''m a little scared of this one and thinking of switching it with molasses. i've brewed with molasses in the past and loved it.

I think that in large proportions it's a baaaad idea, and would come over as cidery. But in some styles, like big Belgian beers, it's a good way of getting a strong beer without the finished product being horribly sweet due to all the residual non-fermented sugars. I'm pretty sure Jamil Z uses cane sugar in his IPA or IIPA to help dry it out. So as long as it's not present in large amounts, I think it's potentially a good idea. Three-quarters of a pound should be absolutely fine.

just noticed, this post is probably in the wrong spot

I've gone up to (and beyond on a Belgian Strong ale) 15% of fermentable content w/o any cidery off flavor issues.

Edit: course the amount I would use max depends on the recipe and what my goal for the addition is...typically I am looking to provide some abv w/o the additional body that the necessary amount of additional malt would provide.

Then comes Turbinado, Demarera, and Sucanat. These will contribute significantly more flavor as they contain more non-fermentable sugars.

Man, there's just so many fun things to put into beer.

+1 I use dark muscovado sugar grown in volcanic ash in Africa. Anything but table sugar, get something intersting/unusual.

In Australia as in most of the USA, our "table" sugar comes from sugar cane. I'm pretty certain that any recipe using "cane sugar" is merely using the same old white sugar you dump into your coffee. It aint anything special.

Up to 15% of the grain bill plain ol' table sugar will convert into alcohol without much in the way of byproducts, resulting in a drier, lighter bodied beer. I have used corn sugar, turbinado sugar, and plain table sugar, all of them seem to work well. High gravity belgians and IPAs in particular just cry for sugar so they won't be cloyingly sweet.

i brewed the beer using cane sugar. looks like she's off to a good start. this post makes me want to experiment with sugar a lot more. thinks for the replys!!:ban:

Back