Candy like mouth feel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Had a few brews from a particular brewery that are really good. I've noticed in each beer, a candy like - thick saliva textured mouth feel.

Any idea what might cause this? Some sort of unfermentable sugar?

Think of a thick saliva after eating certain sweet foods...you know the kind of spit where u can achieve some distance. Jolly rancher like

That's usually the result of dextrin, or other unfermentable sugars. You can get this by using Maltodextrin, or other malts like Carapils.

+1 on carapils/dextrin malt, they might have also been nitro beers. You can't beat that mouthfeel.

I tend to get that feeling only when I brew a really big beer, over 1.08 OG and finish around 1.02, so it can just be the amount of sugars remaining in the beer as well.

Yes this particular beer was 8% or so. I typically use carapils in my IPAs should I use more the next go around? Would one go above 5% carapils to achieve a sweeter flavor? ...being there isn't already too much caramel Malta already?

Yes this particular beer was 8% or so. I typically use carapils in my IPAs should I use more the next go around? Would one go above 5% carapils to achieve a sweeter flavor? ...being there isn't already too much caramel Malta already?

If you're wanting that mouthfeel from an IPA I would go for a double IPA, and up the dextrin to 4% or so.. That being said, the only IPA ive had with that mouthfeel was 10 Barrel Brewing Apocalypse IPA on nitro

I just brewed a 8.5% DIPA with 3.4% carapils it had great head retention and mouthfeel but not the sweet flavor I was looking for

IDK, I've been after that super slick motor-oily feel too. I've only been able to get it in really large imperial stouts. I recently had a commercial 5 or 6% stout that had it and Ive got no idea how.

Have you tried lactose? It works well in stouts to boost that creamy thick mouthfeel

Different thing for me. I've definitely had lactose in stouts, and carapils etc and all of that provides a good, more full body but it's just not the same as that oily mouthfeel (i think) that the OP is referring to. Where you feel like it's just coating your tongue, swallowed and it still is on there.

I feel like most of southern tier beers have that quality. Specially their 2X beers. Maybe check out their website, some breweries will list their ingredients online

Different thing for me. I've definitely had lactose in stouts, and carapils etc and all of that provides a good, more full body but it's just not the same as that oily mouthfeel (i think) that the OP is referring to. Where you feel like it's just coating your tongue, swallowed and it still is on there.

Exactly! I have tried lactose too...not the same but i am not ruling the lactose or dextrin out.

The flavor seems corn based. its much like the candy my wife likes which all use corn based sweeteners. Gummy bears, fruit roll ups, gummy o's, peach rings... That kind of flavor!

https://byo.com/bock/item/1441-sweetness-brewing-sugars-how-to-use-them

Flaked oats in larger quantities is supposed to give an oily/slick mouthfeel. I can't confirm that since I've never used it above ~8% in any beer. I've also read that higher chloride content in brewing water can affect mouthfeel.

Back