Canadian Roll Call!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nova Scotia Peeps...We (Brathair Brewing) &Breton Brewing won the Amber Category in the 2017 Stillwell open with our "7 Years New England Amber Ale"...and our team (#TeamNorth) took the entire comp.
Brathair Brewing also won last year...on the trophy 2 times...lol... Had a blast brewing for this
C_tToprXkAElt22.jpg

C_tTS9uXkAEVtZt.jpg:large

C_Y1ysLXgAAynRE.jpg

Seven Years (adjusted back to an APA) will be available in cans starting next week for those peeps in Nova Scotia...even got some props on the can :rockin:
DMgwcLYWkAAYnDO.jpg

Hurray, I got a 3rd place award for my weizenbock entry in the Royal Finger homebrew competition in Guelph. Was interested in the feedback, but the judges liked my beer enough to give me an award. I definitely have some things to take away, but I'll be entering as many competitions as I can moving forward. The Toronto Beer Slam competition is coming up next month for anyone who is interested.

Hurray, I got a 3rd place award for my weizenbock entry in the Royal Finger homebrew competition in Guelph. Was interested in the feedback, but the judges liked my beer enough to give me an award. I definitely have some things to take away, but I'll be entering as many competitions as I can moving forward. The Toronto Beer Slam competition is coming up next month for anyone who is interested.

I'm glad to hear you have a good experience with your first BJCP comp, I drove out from Toronto to judge.

Don't forget, there are only 4 days left to register and drop off your entries for Brew Slam, so it's coming up quick!

Full details here: https://www.gtabrews.ca/brew-slam/

I'm glad to hear you have a good experience with your first BJCP comp, I drove out from Toronto to judge.

Don't forget, there are only 4 days left to register and drop off your entries for Brew Slam, so it's coming up quick!

Full details here: https://www.gtabrews.ca/brew-slam/

I am not going to be able to enter that competition unfortunately. I don't have anything ready right now that I'd like to enter, currently priming a brett saison that won't be available until the spring and I won't be able to brew until next weekend anyway due to a busy schedule.

Eric - you judged one of my beers. My first competition, which meant of course that I had two disasters leading up to it. My pumpkin didn’t place with 35 scores (mistake?), and I got second with a dismal German wheat. It is a go-to beer for me, but something went horribly wrong in my rushed off the tap bottling. Good fun though, and Rob and Kat at Shortfinger are awesome. Thanks for driving over to judge Eric!

Eric - you judged one of my beers. My first competition, which meant of course that I had two disasters leading up to it. My pumpkin didn’t place with 35 scores (mistake?), and I got second with a dismal German wheat. It is a go-to beer for me, but something went horribly wrong in my rushed off the tap bottling. Good fun though, and Rob and Kat at Shortfinger are awesome. Thanks for driving over to judge Eric!

Hopefully I wrote you a good sheet! Congrats on placing in your first comp, great accomplishment! I hope you keep entering!

It's tough to remember specific beers, but I always do my best. I usually find myself on the organizing side of comps over here in Toronto so I do my best to drive to other places and get my judging in.

Signed up years ago to this site and never had good luck with beer making-- Now I am back and determined to do it again.

Whitecourt Alberta

Anyone from the durham homebrewers club on here, i've been told about the club but i'm not on facebook.

Everwood ave is having 15% off sitewide with code cheers

Hmmmm...I'm a regular buyer and site visitor...nothing out there about a sale nor a code...any direction with that?

PS - disregard...and weird...I had to click on the site mast in order for the banner to appear about the sale...

Greetings! I’m from the Calgary area. This hobby has gone beyond the threshold of an experiment or a phase and has turned the corner. At the moment I’m in transition to an all-grain setup after having finished my 10th batch (mostly partial mashed).

So far all but one of my brews have been made by myself and my wife. I did introduce one friend to beer brewing, but for the most part I haven’t made it a social activity yet.

I’m also looking to try my first lager in 2018 once I acquire a fridge and temperature controller.

Greetings! I’m from the Calgary area. This hobby has gone beyond the threshold of an experiment or a phase and has turned the corner. At the moment I’m in transition to an all-grain setup after having finished my 10th batch (mostly partial mashed).

So far all but one of my brews have been made by myself and my wife. I did introduce one friend to beer brewing, but for the most part I haven’t made it a social activity yet.

I’m also looking to try my first lager in 2018 once I acquire a fridge and temperature controller.
Welcome!

Just stopped by to say hello !
Long time I did not fire the rig because of too many things :) But I shall soon !

Hello, all. I live in the Okanogan region in British Columbia. My experience with brewing doesn’t extend past the lifetime of my account on this forum, but I’m learning a fair amount of information.

I just gotta ask, because I've been hearing from some people who visited Canada fairly recently and I'm having a hard time believing this.

Is it true that the overwhelming majority of your graffiti is grammatically correct?

I've been thinking about that off and on for most of the day, since you asked. I've seen some that is grammatically correct. Most of it hasn't been though.

Toronto here... in the east end of the city (SCAR-BRO!!!) and just getting back into it after 25+ year hiatus... man things have changed... all for the better!

Currently have 3 batches (within the last month) under my belt of 1 Gallon BIAB beers - all are still carbonating!! Stout, Dubbel and, waiting to be bottled, an experimental Saison.

I love what I’m (re)learning and look forward to brewing for a long long time!!

Cheers,
Dave

Moved from St. John's, NL to Calgary a few years ago and have been happily brewing here. As far as I know, there was nowhere to buy all grain supplies in NL and the craft beer scene there was very limited/government controlled. It looks like things have really been turning around since I left, but in terms of the beer fan in me, I love Alberta.

Wasn't aware this thread existed, but I may as well chime in!

Hailing from the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia but I'm currently living, and home brewing in Antigonish, Nova Scotia (home of St FX University).

Currently brewing partial/steep grain kits on the stove top from Noble Grape, while slowly adding bits and bobs to my 3 kegs to get set up an electric HERMS system.

Hi all,

I thought many of my fellow canucks might enjoy these two links about beer taxes in Canada, and provincial taxes in Ontario. They help clear up some misinformation that is out there.
Federal taxes: http://saintjohnswort.ca/fun-numbers-excise-tax-remittance-edition/

Ontario provincial taxes: http://saintjohnswort.ca/fun-numbers-provincial-excise-tax-price-floor/

Jordan St. John is a great speaker and beer reviewer although his writing can come off a little angsty. He has some great books, too. So check him out.

Why support the monopolies when you can just homebrew? For what it costs to make a 5 gallon batch of beer, even with the time and effort it takes, once you have the equipment available, a full keg's worth of beer is dirt cheap compared to buying the same amount from the stores, and all the equipment can be used over and over again.

I'm from Didsbury, Alberta. Been a member for a bit, but first post here. Originally from just south of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Mostly extract brewer, but I have done a few partial grain brews that turned out really good.

I'm from Airdrie, Alberta. Joined a few weeks ago. Done 6 batches so far. Did one extract brew and moved on to all grain after that. Loving the hobby so far.

Greetings from Calgary. I'm a relative newbie. Haven't ventured into all-grain yet, but I'm doing partial extracts, hacking kits, making fruit wines, and learning as I go along.

Howdy all, from Ontario, Mulmur. Just saw this thread, been on the site for a little while now, been brewing all grain at a friend's place for just over 2 years, and am hoping by Feb I'll have my 3 kettle eherms setup rockin'. Been brewing consistently trying to keep 3 taps flowing at all times.

Hey guys, total noob here. Fermenting my first beer ever, a Hefeweizen, think I totally screwed it up but we'll see in another couple of weeks!

Back