Canadian Homebrewers, Rush beer any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a huge Rush fan and pretty much anything prog rock (if my username didn't give it away). Has anyone tried Henderson's new Rush themed beer, Canadian Golden Ale? What are your thoughts?

I found on their web sight the list of ingredients and was wondering if any of you guys/gals would help me formulate a recipe or have tried to clone it. I know I won't be able to since this beer isn't going to be shipped outside of Canada, but I'd like to try to brew a good tasting brew with the same ingredients. Here's their list:

Rush Canadian Golden Ale

OG 13.3 Plato, IBU 30, SRM 15 ABV 5.5%

Malts: 2-Row, Vienna, Flaked Rye, and Acidulated

Hops: Magnum and Sasquatch

Yeast: English Ale I

Description: Old gold, dense ivory head. Earthy, tea-like, orange peel, pine resin, spicy rye for the aroma. Orange, bread crust, caramel, black tea, spice notes. Medium bodied with lingering taste of pine and white rye bread. Piney/citric hop character with dry spicy bitter finish reminiscent of white rye bread.

I have Beersmith 2 but I doubt Sasquatch would be in the hop list under ingredients. I did find a list of substitutes from Beer Maverick as it seems Sasquatch hops are going to be hard to find. What would be the percentages on the grain bill? Hop additions amounts/times? US-04 for a dry yeast?

If anyone has a clone recipe after tasting the real thing, I'd love to see it. If not, what would you brew with those ingredients that would pay some sort of homage to the band?

Thanks in advance. I've been out of the hobby for a little too long. Hope I can spend more time in '22 learning/sharing. Happy New Year everyone.

I too am a huge rush fan, but sadly can't get this where I live, so am curious to hear what you come up with for a recipe.

Cheers and happy new year!

I too am a huge rush fan, but sadly can't get this where I live, so am curious to hear what you come up with for a recipe.

Cheers and happy new year!
This.
I would buy a couple of cases just too if I could get it local. Will be waiting also to see if a clone makes it on a Passage to Bangkok.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Maybe we should start a petition and send it in to Henderson's? I've emailed them a few months ago (when I first found out), but haven't heard back.

This beer would sell better than they think if it were released in the States.

Thanks for the replies and Happy New Year everyone!

The color is what's throwing me off from the op. With the given ingredients I can't get anywhere near 15 srm. Best I can do is just under 10 if I add in some caramel rye for color, without that it's around 6 srm.

I took it as a sort of British golden ale style beer from the description. What if you did:

46% Vienna
46% Canadian 2 row
7% flaked rye
1% acidulated

I'd guess maybe 0.5 oz Magnum @ 60 for about 18 IBU, and maybe 1oz of sasquatch @ 10 and another @ flame out. From the specs sasquatch is a pretty low AA hop.

That would get you 1.052 OG, 1.011 FG, 30 IBU, 5.4% abv if using British ale 1 from wyeast, and about 6 srm.

no idea if this is anything close to the actual beer. Just throwing out a wild guess.

cheers!

Last edited:
That sounds good. The SRM threw me off as well. I can't get it no where near 15 unless I add some crystal 40 or similar. C40 isn't one of the ingredients listed on the sight. Sasquatch isn't listed on Beersmith (I have v2), so I used Wakatu in its place, since that was one of the subs Beer Maverick suggests.

Is there away to upgrade ingredients in Beersmith, or am I going to have to upgrade to the latest version?

That sounds good. The SRM threw me off as well. I can't get it no where near 15 unless I add some crystal 40 or similar. C40 isn't one of the ingredients listed on the sight. Sasquatch isn't listed on Beersmith (I have v2), so I used Wakatu in its place, since that was one of the subs Beer Maverick suggests.

Is there away to upgrade ingredients in Beersmith, or am I going to have to upgrade to the latest version?

BS updates their ingredients library from time to time. This is their 2020 update, not sure if they have a newer one.

I was thinking about the srm number, I bet it is ebc, not srm. 15 ebc is about 7 srm which totally makes sense with that ingredient list. You could pretty easily get 7 srm by increasing the Vienna or flaked rye a little bit.

I found a couple of sources for the Sasquatch hops online. I think it was northwest hops out of Canada (was one of the ones listed on the beer maverick site, you have to buy 0.5 pound or more at a time though) and there was another one that came up in a Google search that sold them by the ounce out of CA or OR, can't remember the name of that one.

Let us know if you give it a shot. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

Cheers!

I was just on the Rush site and saw this at the bottom of the announcement for the second collaboration, Belgian strong ale release...

"For our American friends, please know we’ve been working hard to make Rush x Henderson Canadian Golden Ale available in the USA and are happy to let you know it is coming in the spring! We’ve also held back some of this wonderful Moving Pictures Ale for the spring for you. And sidenote, we’re happy to see our US/Canada land border is opening up after 18 months."

Might be able to get the real thing after all. :rock:

I was just on the Rush site and saw this at the bottom of the announcement for the second collaboration, Belgian strong ale release...

"For our American friends, please know we’ve been working hard to make Rush x Henderson Canadian Golden Ale available in the USA and are happy to let you know it is coming in the spring! We’ve also held back some of this wonderful Moving Pictures Ale for the spring for you. And sidenote, we’re happy to see our US/Canada land border is opening up after 18 months."

Might be able to get the real thing after all. :rock:

So two beers in the spring? Am I reading that right?

When I brew this, I'll probably do your version Coastalbrew. Thank you for the help.

So two beers in the spring? Am I reading that right?

When I brew this, I'll probably do your version Coastalbrew. Thank you for the help.
@Yesfan , that's how I read it. Both the golden ale and the Belgian strong would be available in the states in "spring".

I'm honored you'd try my recipe, thanks! I have no idea how it will turn out, I just read the description and that's what felt right. Hope it turns out well. Let me know what you think if you brew it.

Cheers!

Back