Canadian homebrew magazine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a magazine in Canada dedicated to homebrew? The US magazines are very good, but they add far more in extra costs than is reasonably necessary to cover costs to deliver here. I just can't bring myself to pay what amounts to what appears to be a xenophobe tax.

I'd be interested to know as well. I paid for a BYO subscription but it would be nice to have something that takes the Canadian market into consideration - especially for vendors and advertising.

Chairman Cheyco said:
No, but I hear there is a newspaper being published on a daily basis in Ontario now.

Wtf? Are you being facetious or am I misreading you? It was a serious question. Do you know of one (or several) Canadian mags?

Last I checked the Globe and Mail wasn't a homebrew magazine. Perhaps you should re-read the original question, Chairman.

Fingers said:
Last I checked the Globe and Mail wasn't a homebrew magazine. Perhaps you should re-read the original question, Chairman.

I can't read, I guess that explains how I may have thought it was a HB paper...

I did answer your original question. I can't see the market being big enough in Canada to warrant a dedicated publication. Even BYO is only published six times per year. You can only write about mash temperatures so many times it seems...

Send Paddock Wood an email. I think they're a big homebrew shop somewhere in Canada.
They may know of some trade mags or something to do with micros, brewpubs, or related subjects.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Fingers said:
I can't read, I guess that explains how I may have thought it was a HB paper...

I did answer your original question. I can't see the market being big enough in Canada to warrant a dedicated publication. Even BYO is only published six times per year. You can only write about mash temperatures so many times it seems...

Fingers -- Chairman was just exhibiting his exceptionally dry sense of humour. You know, believe it or not, Canada has a daily paper now...... :)

Chairman -- not a good week to mess with Fingers. He is living the realities of all the Manitoba tornadoes, floods, and other nasty weather (in case you hadn't seen it):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32525

I have checked pretty thoroughly and have never found any Canadian publication on homebrewing. I don't think we are going to get one for a long time, either.

[Rant]
The homebrew community in Canada is dead, or at least dying. We only have a handful of vendors left, and even Paddock Wood is starting to tank (...I will resist flying off on a tangent on this one -- just got another order from them and it was all messed up).

Anyways, it seems like Canadians only want to brew beer-in-a-bag homebrew now. Since you don't even boil it, I am sure it doesn't really count as homebrewing. And aside from three or four shops in all of Canada, you have to go to a WINE shop now to get brewing supplies. In my experience, those wine-shop guys are too snobbish to talk (sometimes even sell!) homebrew ingredients and equipment.

I am now starting to buy all my homebrew ingredients and equipment from the US. So I guess my BYO subscription doesn't seem so out of place, either. I have just resigned myself to the fact that I need to rely on my American friends to keep my habit afloat.
[/Rant]

Sorry for the hijack, Fingers.

FlyGuy said:
Fingers -- Chairman was just exhibiting his exceptionally dry sense of humour. You know, believe it or not, Canada has a daily paper now...... :)

Chairman -- not a good week to mess with Fingers. He is living the realities of all the Manitoba tornadoes, floods, and other nasty weather (in case you hadn't seen it):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32525

Whoa, sorry, Fingers. I didn't mean to rub you the wrong way (I didn't really mean to rub you the right way either, though... :tank: )

No, my fault Chairman. Flyguy has it right. I'm a little touchy and not taking humour in the spirit it's meant. I'll try to lighten up a little. :mug:

FlyGuy said:
...Anyways, it seems like Canadians only want to brew beer-in-a-bag homebrew now. Since you don't even boil it, I am sure it doesn't really count as homebrewing. And aside from three or four shops in all of Canada, you have to go to a WINE shop now to get brewing supplies. In my experience, those wine-shop guys are too snobbish to talk (sometimes even sell!) homebrew ingredients and equipment...
I was lucky enough to find a 'local' (80KM round trip) brew on premises/wine shop that actually has a row of those really cool kettles and an in house brew master. It's great because I go in and talk shop while we weigh ingredients. I buy 90% of my ingredients from them instead of the guy a 5 minute walk from me. I like the local guy but he just carries those Muntons kit-in-a-can and the standard crystal/chocolate/roast/patent in 500g bags.

I keep trying to convince the BOP place to sell online since they already keep the inventory but the owner doesn't think there's enough market; he's probably right. :( I imagine it's the same problem with an actual paper magazine.

Back