can you use baking spices with mead ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbaromman

Reaction score
Just wondering about this with spices can you add baking spices to mead or just normal spices ?

And if so how would you add it to the mead ?

You certainly can add spice to Mead.

Powder or ground spice is really not a good idea as it is almost impossible to remove without filtering, will continue to impart flavor and likely will over power the Mead.

I have added whole spice to Mead a number of ways, have settled on adding them to secondary. I found that in primary the flavor tends to get blown out the airlock. It does work but generally makes for a nice smelling brew area and just too hard to control.

My preferred method is to just drop them in the mead and rack off them after a week or two I have also soaked them in a very small amount of vodka for a day, place them in a sanitized bag and just drop them in. (Makes it really easy to retrieve and less likely to add any bacteria or foreign matter but in secondary not too much of a concern.)

As suggested above, ground spices aren't a great idea. A good alternative to a baking spice taste would be to add French oak to your mead. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back