can you store activated wyeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethliam

Reaction score
I'm using a wyeast smack pack for the first time and wondered if there is an easy way to store unused yeast from the pack. I will be using about 1/3 of the pack for a Small batch. I don't want to pit h the whole pack, nor do I want to waste what is left. Can I store the activated yeast in the fridge? I'm reading about starters - never done one before, but it's late at night and it's confusing me! Would I need to ferment the yeast put in a starter... Or could that wait until a later brew when I next want to use this yeast?

Add it to a small batch of wort. Once it is finished fermenting cool it to settle the yeast and decant the liquid. Cover the cake with sterile distilled water and refrigerate. It can be kept for several weeks.

When you are ready to use, let warm to room temperature and use in a starter.

You don't need to do a starter before storing your yeast. Just make sure whatever your storing is sealed up. My recommendation, sanitize a mason jar with sterilized, cooled water and pour the rest of your yeast in there. Store it in the fridge and make a starter before you do another beer.

Thanks for the feedback... So looks like I have a couple of choices
1. Pitch the yeast I want to save in a little bit of wort - let it ferment out, cold crash, store yeast cake.. Make starter next time
2. don't pitch this yeast, store and make starter next time.

My thoughts .. What if I save any unused yeast as is, without adding to a wort? With the yeast I am using now, I could pull that off of the yeast cake when this batch completes fermentation. That way I will have two chances of stretching the yeast, and can compare how each method works?

Back