Can you pitch too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cochised

Reaction score
Used 2 packs of US05 in a 1045 APA earlier, having read online that just sprinkling dry yeast on the wort kills a lot, so doing 2 makes up for that

That fine?

Up till a few years ago the consensus was that sprinkling yeast on the wort surface killed half the cells. Rehydration was preferred. Now the manufacturer (Safale) urges to sprinkle on the surface and NOT to rehydrate. Not sure if it's a different formulation or marketing, removing potential usage barriers so people would use their product over another. Haven't seen any proof either way which method is actually better now.

If sprinkling is the best method, you surely overpitched by at least 2x. I doubt in the end you could taste the difference.
I would harvest part of the yeast cake when this is packaged, and use some for subsequent brews.

RDWHAHB!

You are fine as @IslandLizard said. I think drying process and possibly advances in drying and minimal additives have advanced to allow certain yeasts from certain manufacturers to be added to wort without re-hydrating so that osmotic pressure will not kill a lot of the yeast. They may also be able to pack many more viable cells in a pack today than in the past, and also keep supply chain shorter.

Follow manufacturers directions unless you are doing something out of the norm (i.e. higher gravity beer). They do a lot of research, and are depending heavily on repeat customers so their directions should carry a lot of weight. If they say to sprinkle dry, and you rehydrate.....then you may have killed more than a direct pitch...they know what they are doing and why. If they say go in dry - do it...and no need to spend double for yeast by pitching twice.

but again - you're fine. all else ok...you'll have good beer. I'll be in Dublin in June. Save me some :)

Back