can you lose overall batch volume when using a blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I have a huge RIS in the midst of primary fermentation prob 12 hrs into it. There is almost a steady stream of foam coming through the blowoff tube. I racked 5.5 gal into a 6.5 gal carboy before I pitched the starter so I know the volume was correct. Now the batch volume is at the 5.25 gal mark. Is it poss or how am I losing volume?? Is that what's heading out the end of the blowoff tube. No real noticeable volume increase in the blowoff container although I'm having to scoop foam off of it every hour so it doesn't spill over. It has it's own krausen there's so much blowoff.

Edit: There is def volume loss as I just had to scoop out quite a few ladels of the blowoff sanitizer and I'm down to 5.25Gal from 5.5 Gal. Hopefully ferm starts to slow a little and I don't lose a whole bunch more.

I guess the real question is ...Does it really matter? If it wasn't going through the blow off tube into the bucket, it would be going on your ceiling or floor. No worries.

Some people run a tube into a small sanitized container from the fermenter and run a tube from the top of that to a blowoff. After high krausen you can dump it back down the tube into the fermenter. Like a two stage blow off but one doesn't have liquid in it.

Does the tube extend down into the fermenter? A quart seems like a lot to lose...

Nope I have a the tube 1.25" that fits perfect into the neck of the carboy and it only in just to where the neck of the carboy starts to bow out prob not even that far it hold a tight seal. Just a vicious fermentation I guess. Theres krausen literally from the shoulder of the carboy all the way to the neck. Just rechecked after 3 hrs and and 30hrs of crazy fermentation and no more krausen/foam coming through but its still bubbling like crazy. I'm guessing when the krausem left in the ferm drops it'll up my volume a little more but I'm at 5 gal now which is fine for a 10%+ abv predicted final.

Dont sweat the loss. What is it one bottle or two it is quality that you worry about!:)

Back