Can you leave the burner on during BIAB mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSU_Brewer

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new brewer and have been doing extract recipes with specialty grains. When I steep grains, I leave my burner on low and am able to keep temperature in the 150-155°F range. Can I leave the burner on low to maintain temperature while doing a BIAB partial mash?

The answer is a yes, and a no.

It really depends if the bag touches the bottom of the pot. My bag doesn't touch the bottom of the pot, it has at times with big grain bills, and I've managed to scorch the bag a little (I use cheap paint strainer bags) and had to toss the bag, no grain dumped, but could become a big mess quickly.

If your bag hangs freely without touching hot metal, you're golden. I think if the bag is just brushing against the bottom, its ok, I know when I've burnt my bag it's because it was pressing against the bottom.

... it was really hard to be mature while typing this reply

I have done this but I do use an over turned colander in brew kettle , from a steamer pot, and try to make sure grans do not rest on bottom of the kettle, to avoid scorching the grains or bag, I have had good success, cheers~

Back