Can you hop it? Yes you can.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually, when I want to do some hop taste profiling I'll buy a small amount of pellet hops (3 or 4 new kinds to me).

Get a six pack of warm SNPA, pop the tops and add 4-6 pellet hops per bottle, re-cap, wait 3 days then cold crash for a couple days.

I pour thru a tea ball to strain - voila'!!! instant taste/aroma test.

fun to mix and match to find the 'best' combo.

My .02

actually, when I want to do some hop taste profiling I'll buy a small amount of pellet hops (3 or 4 new kinds to me).

Get a six pack of warm SNPA, pop the tops and add 4-6 pellet hops per bottle, re-cap, wait 3 days then cold crash for a couple days.

I pour thru a tea ball to strain - voila'!!! instant taste/aroma test.

fun to mix and match to find the 'best' combo.

My .02

Cool idea, but why would you use SNPA and not a less hoppy beer to start?

In the name of hop science, I once tried this with poor results:

20130111192945.jpg

20130111193055.jpg

20130111193456.jpg

Williams Brewing has a gadget called a bottle bomb. It's basically just the infuser piece that is sized so you can stick it into a beer bottle.

Cool idea, but why would you use SNPA and not a less hoppy beer to start?

I took this from an article about Anchor Steam (i think was anchor steam) brewers who do this with Bud Light to test new hop combinations...

The blogger who wrote about it rec'd SNPA, because budweisers A) have no pop tops and B) the cascade backbone of the SNPA does not detract too much...

worked good!
:ban:

EDIT: a ha! found the article again:
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/dry-hopped-bud-light.html

I guess the fact that it's also widely available makes it a useful recommendation for just about anyone. I don't trust myself to separate Cascade from the test hops. I might try this sometime with Brooklyn Lager.

antitelephonica said:
In the name of hop science, I once tried this with poor results:

Science thanks you for a hilarious three photo slide show. How did it taste??

Back