Can you help me with a clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytizzle

Reaction score
I'm trying to clone one of my absolute favorite brews...

Drake's Drakonic Imperial Stout

Here's what I know:
8.75% ABV
40 IBUs
Single hops, bittering only

Label on the bottle says:
"Two-row malt is blended with chocolate malt, roasted barley, and dark crystal malts to make up the grist. Only one hop addition, Columbus for bittering, is added so that the abundance of malt in this beer can shine through"

I am not doing all-grain yet so I'll need this one in an extract with specialty grains recipe. The hops are easy as that will be 2.5-3 oz (depends on actual AA%) of Columbus at 60 mins.

The basic math tells me that I need my yeast to consume 0.0667 to get to 8.75% ABV. Factoring for 70% attenuation, I'd need to start at around 1.095 and end around 1.028, but I fear both of those numbers are a bit high.

Using this estimate regardless, I'd need about 10.5 lbs of DME, maybe 9 lbs extra dark and 1.5 lbs dark.

For the steeping grains, I'm thinking 1 lb english chocolate malt, 1 lb english roasted barley, 1 lb english dark crystal.

Help me with the extract and specialty grain bill, please!?

Also, which yeast would work well with this? Safale S-04?

In short:

Fermentables
10.5 lbs DME (9 lb extra dark, 1.5 lb dark)

Specialty grains
1 lb english chocolate malt
1 lb english roasted barley
1 lb english dark crystal

Hops
3 oz Columbus @ 60

Yeast
Safale S-04

Use light DME, you will get all the color you need from the steeping grains.

I've never has the beer so I can't guess what L crystal malt is used. 70-80L would be a "dark crystal" in my option. I would not want to go 120L but who knows.

With S-04, I think 1.028 may be as low as this might get. Keep the temperature steady (or warm up after 2-3 days) or it might drop out before finishing.

I don't know if you'll call it a clone but this looks like an awesome beer.
And you'll have a better idea what you want to change when you rebrew. (like the percentage of chocolate vs. roast).

Let us know how it comes out!

Back