Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, after 48 hours of de-gassing - pouring back and forth, whisking, sitting out, repeat, etc. - I consider this as flat as it's going to get :)

It looks like a gravity of 1.017 - 1.018
Temp of wort is 76.6* (Thermoworks thermometer)
Hydrometer is an AHB w/ a range of 1.000 - 1.070

Hope this helps

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

Just a quick reminder that all of this information is possible because of the hard work of Jamil and Tasty. Please listen to the show, whether live, on the BN website, or subscribe on iTunes. I credit much of my progress as a brewer to listening to the shows on The Brewing Network. If you enjoy those shows and the information, please consider donating. Also, please support the show's sponsor, Northern Brewer.

Thanks.

Eric

Well, I went ahead and brewed it yesterday.
Used 1.5# Special B and 11# of LME.
My LHBS only had Chinook in whole leaf though, so I added more water to the recipe but forgot to compensate by adding a little more extract, so my OG was lower than I wanted.
Pitched 2 packs of Wy-1272 anyway since they were already smacked at that point.

Will report back in 6 weeks or so.....

I am finally gettingg around to brewing my extract version of this. It looks like I might have missed a few recent revelations, but I am sure it will turn out great, even if it isnt really close.
Batch Size: 5 gal
OG: 1.080
FG: 1.018
9lbs Briess Golden Light DME (90%) - 4lbs early, 5lbs late addition
1lb Special B (10%)
1oz Chinook (60)
1oz Chinook (30)
1oz Chinook (15)
1oz Chinook (flameout)
1.5 packets US-05
1 Whirfloc tablet

I will provide updates in about a month with how this turns out. I have been waiting to try this...
I was drinking a Self Righteous Ale last night in preparation, and I almost felt that one has a lot in common with the AB - maybe just some dark grains in addition. I think I saw a recipe for that one somewhere.

Tried brewing a 5 gallon version this morning. I'll let you know how it turns out. The pre boil sample had great malty flavors and the post boil sample was incredibly hoppy!

13.5 lbs. Pale 2 Row
1.5 lbs. Crystal 120
0.5 lbs. Special B

2 oz. Chinook @ 60
.5 oz. Chinook @ 15
.5 oz. Chinook @ 5

US-05

I just brewed this:

5 Gallons

12.0 lbs 2-row Pale Malt (US)
1.5 lbs Special B

1 oz Chinook at 60min
1 oz Chinook at 30min
1 oz Chinook at 15min
1 oz Chinook at 5min

2 packets of Nottingham dry yeast

I mashed higher than planned: 159°F (I was aiming for 153... oops)
I got 80% efficiency (Oops... also higher than planned)
OG: 1.077
Estimated IBUS: 89.8
Estimated Color: 22.2 SRM
Estimated FG: 1.023
Estimated ABV: 7.2%

Attenuation: 85% (EDIT)
Measured ABV: 8.4% (EDIT)
Measured FG: 1.013 (EDIT)

my extract AB brew has been kegged and on gas for about a week, will report back in another 1-2 when it's ready

I just had a bottle of fresh AB for the first time, what a stellar beer! In the past I must have had old bottles, as it never tasted this good.

I would also be willing to bet there's a very small amount of roasted barley in there. I use only 2ozs in another recipe, and it is faint but definitely there.

_

I just had a bottle of fresh AB for the first time, what a stellar beer! In the past I must have had old bottles, as it never tasted this good.

_

Yeah! They have it on tap at the bar across the street from where I work... It is way better than the old bottles that I can get around here that sit on the shelves in warm stores.

I just brewed this:

5 Gallons

12.0 lbs 2-row Pale Malt (US)
1.5 lbs Special B

1 oz Chinook at 60min
1 oz Chinook at 30min
1 oz Chinook at 15min
1 oz Chinook at 5min

2 packets of Nottingham dry yeast

I mashed higher than planned: 159°F (I was aiming for 153... oops)
I got 80% efficiency (Oops... also higher than planned)
OG: 1.077
Estimated IBUS: 89.8
Estimated Color: 22.2 SRM
Estimated FG: 1.023
Estimated ABV: 7.2%

Attenuation: 85% (EDIT)
Measured ABV: 8.4% (EDIT)
Measured FG: 1.013 (EDIT)

I just measured the ABV right before crash cooling...
Whoops! 85% attenuation... 8.4% abv... I'm thinking that Nottingham may not have been the best idea. :drunk:

A former brewer from Stone was on The Sunday Session last episode and basically ruled out special B and "kinda sorta" confirmed that it's C150. He stated the grain bill was very simple.

A former brewer from Stone was on The Sunday Session last episode and basically ruled out special B and "kinda sorta" confirmed that it's C150. He stated the grain bill was very simple.

Weird...When Tasty added in the C150 everyone seemed to agree that C150 made it farther from being cloned. And that second attempt that was just Special B for specialty malts they thought it was cloned (well, except for Tasty). It was in the Live from NHC show. I'll have to listen to the last Session!

Weird...When Tasty added in the C150 everyone seemed to agree that C150 made it farther from being cloned. And that second attempt that was just Special B for specialty malts they thought it was cloned (well, except for Tasty). It was in the Live from NHC show. I'll have to listen to the last Session!

You have C120 mixed up with C150. They added a little bit of C120 in the NHC 2011 version of the clone.

Maybe we should be using C150 instead of special B. They are similar, though, aren't they?

Listen around 14:40.

Aren't C150 and Special B all but interchangeable?

bigbeergeek said:
Aren't C150 and Special B all but interchangeable?

+1. I think so too. If you look at the rating of spec b I think it is 148-152.

I just tasted my first bottle of 90% 2row and 10% spec B and it was really close.

JimTheHick said:
+1. I think so too. If you look at the rating of spec b I think it is 148-152.

I just tasted my first bottle of 90% 2row and 10% spec B and it was really close.

My special b is 120L

Edit: Apparently the Dingemans is about 150...others are 120 though

I'm brew an AB attempt right now but to be honest I haven't had an AB in a long time even though I walk by it on the shelf every time I'm at the grocery store (probably the same bottles for god know how long). I'll have to find a fresh bottle next month to see how I did.
12# 2 row
1.25# Bairds extra dark crystal 115-155°L
0.5 # special B
1oz of Chinook 11.5 at 60, 30, 15, and 2oz at knock out.
US 05 (because I didn't plan to brew this this weekend)
I just remembered I have no fineings...
Well, we'll see.

BrewNow said:
Maybe Simpsons Extra Dark which is ~ 160L. What about percentages? Still stay with 10% of the total grist for the C-160?

I don't know, I was just commenting on the fact that the special b color varies. I would listen to the episode to find out which they used. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I kegged my AB over the weekend. I tasted it, and it was very bitter and very dry, but it definitely has some similar characteristics as AB. I'm going to condition for about 1 month. I'm hoping that it mellows out, and then I'll do a side by side comparison.

I don't know, I was just commenting on the fact that the special b color varies. I would listen to the episode to find out which they used. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Actually, you were clear. That's the problem with the written word when I try to type how I would speak. . . I was trying to hash out the recipe and options with the community rather than asking the question.

Oh well. This will be my 5th attempt at a clone.:drunk:

I'm going to name my brew "Evil Focker". I've been trying to think of something that is almost synonymous with Arrogant Bastard but could represent something that is more bitter and higher in alcohol percentage. Yesterday, I was watching Little Fockers and the name popped into my head.

Well.... Thanks to another Sunday Session there is another update. A listener called in and stated that he has unnamed buddies that are assistant brewers at Stone. He claimed a crap load of C175 and just a tad of special B.

I'm going to name my brew "Evil Focker". I've been trying to think of something that is almost synonymous with Arrogant Bastard but could represent something that is more bitter and higher in alcohol percentage. Yesterday, I was watching Little Fockers and the name popped into my head.

My batch came in a little light on the ABV (6%) but the taste seems to be pretty close as it's pretty much fully carbed now. Need to do a side by side....

Tap #3 on the keezer reads: "Cocky Lil' Prick" :p

My batch came in a little light on the ABV (6%) but the taste seems to be pretty close as it's pretty much fully carbed now. Need to do a side by side....

Tap #3 on the keezer reads: "Cocky Lil' Prick" :p

Awesome name! I've got a bomber sitting in my fridge waiting for the side-by-side.

Well.... Thanks to another Sunday Session there is another update. A listener called in and stated that he has unnamed buddies that are assistant brewers at Stone. He claimed a crap load of C175 and just a tad of special B.

Oh, geez! What if Stone is just messing with everybody by spreading false claims?

Following this thread. Do people who have brewed this and tasted it feel like all Chinook is the way to go for an AB clone? Would other hops mix with Chinook for flavoring or aroma to give it a better nose and taste? I'm also surprised there is no dry hopping. I brewed the prior recipe with 5-6 different malts and different hops and it was good, but probably not an AB clone.

Last time I had AB was on the train from San Diego to Los Angeles in June. I love that beer. Back in Sydney I followed the cybi version. The result was delicious, with a very pronounced grapefruit character. I liked the grapefruit and had not previously used Chinook. I don't remember AB being big on grapefruit - but its been a while and I can't compare side by side in Australia.

Named mine "Humble *****", 10% C120. Little too sweet, but my low on attenuation. My fault due to poor ferm schedule. What is C175? Red Herring Malt?

Following this thread. Do people who have brewed this and tasted it feel like all Chinook is the way to go for an AB clone? Would other hops mix with Chinook for flavoring or aroma to give it a better nose and taste? I'm also surprised there is no dry hopping. I brewed the prior recipe with 5-6 different malts and different hops and it was good, but probably not an AB clone.

I tasted a little bit of mine when it was flat. It did seem very close in many ways, but I haven't done the side-by-side comparison yet. I'll report back in a couple of weeks or so.

I think the Chinook gets you pretty close, it's definitely the dominant flavor. There might be a little something else in there for aroma and late-addition flavor, but it mostly gets swallowed up by the Chinook IMO

On one of the last Sunday sessions they had pizza port head brewer, who was working for stone when they created it. His quote was " high percentage of high color crystal, not special b." He also mentioned they had the hop variety " figured out"

This leads me to believe it's c150..... But the special b makes a great beer, I've made it twice.

On one of the last Sunday sessions they had pizza port head brewer, who was working for stone when they created it. His quote was " high percentage of high color crystal, not special b." He also mentioned they had the hop variety " figured out"

This leads me to believe it's c150..... But the special b makes a great beer, I've made it twice.

I just listened to it. It definitely sounds like credible information...

Chinook and C150!

I think I'll try that next time.

I just listened to it. It definitely sounds like credible information...

Chinook and C150!

I think I'll try that next time.

Jeff Bagby (Pizza Port brewer that was on the Session) also conceded that it had been years since he worked for Stone, and it was possible that they had changed the recipe since he was there.

Just throwing it out there....

Jeff Bagby (Pizza Port brewer that was on the Session) also conceded that it had been years since he worked for Stone, and it was possible that they had changed the recipe since he was there.

Just throwing it out there....

Yeah, he said they changed it to accommodate their much larger new system, and still get the same beer. I doubt they changed the special malt. It is more likely that they would change the percentage than the malt.

I know this has been beat to death, but I was playing around in BeerSmith tonight and this is what I came up with for an extract recipe. I might give it a shot next few weeks and see how close it is. I doubt I'll end up with an AB, but it looks like a tasty brew none the less.

Recipe: Arrogant Bastard Clone
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 23.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 99.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %