Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is your dry-hop addition? I have 2.5 oz for 5 days, it's sweet if I don't.

Ok had my tasting last night. Much Much closer than my v1 attemp.
20140724_211200_zpsga7gnavp.jpg

Color is really close AB has a shade more red mine is a shade more brown.

Hops..initial bitterness is close but AB still edges mine out. finish hops are dead on. Nice lingering hop taste on the tongue after you swallow.

malt character. Mine has more of a dark sweetness in the middle. Not overpowering at all but not AB. AB is much more subdued and in the background.

Overall I very happy with how close it is now just being the second try for me. Its still not cloned but its close. I think the biggest issues I have are getting the color down to that nice shade of red and cutting down on the malt sweetness.

Will dropping a srm point bring it more red? If so this will also help with the
malt problem.

When its time to rebrew I'll adjust color, mash lower, and maybe drop another .25 oz of hops at 90 min.
I don't plan on brewing this again for a while. I have an itch for other styles.

no dry hopping on this for me. Pretty much everyone says that stone does not dry hop AB. I notice that with a couple of weeks in the fridge a lot of that sweetness drops out of the way of the initial bitterness. I still think crystal malts are the way to go.

So current thinking is to drop CaraAroma to 12% from the 13.5 listed in the recipe in post 845?

Chinook and IBU are weird because Chinook is a rough tasting hop...which I am in love with. Anyone familiar with Tree House Sap? Fabulous beer, all Chinook.

Brewed this up last night, it's gorgeous. Totally botched my gravity. I chalk it up to exhaustion and not paying attention because I was brewing late and my thermometer being an *******. So this'll end up being a session Arrogant Bastard with an OG of 1.060. Pitched a WLP007 starter.
Color is gorgeous, flavor is, well, we'll see. Gravity sample was bitter and delicious but even with 6oz of Chinook in it I'm not getting a ton of Chinook flavor.

Q4Cl4yC.jpg

I'm excited about this beer though! Should be damn tasty.

when you put hops in at flame out, is that considered a dry hop or will they be extracted from the batch prior to primary?

when you put hops in at flame out, is that considered a dry hop or will they be extracted from the batch prior to primary?

No. That's a late addition, typically adds a lot of aroma to your finished beer. Dry hop is in general after fermentation is complete, however some (like Russian River!) will put hops in at the end of fermentation as the yeast extract nutrients and add flavors/aromas from them.

Stone generally doesn't use a lot of dry hopping, so I've read. I read that they add their bittering hops and then add all their hops in the whirlpool. Their cast out takes about 90 minutes. I'm not sure what their temp is during this process. Are most of you dry hopping this beer? What temp should one hold this while whirlpooling to replicate what Stone's process?

Stone, when you want me to drop off 4-5# of CaraAroma so you can try this beer with that malt? 13.5% seems to be the magic number for color/flavor to me.

Stone, when you want me to drop off 4-5# of CaraAroma so you can try this beer with that malt? 13.5% seems to be the magic number for color/flavor to me.

:off:Could have used it this past weekend!! Anytime you get a chance and we can hook up will be fine. Probably brewing again in 2 weeks...PM me or email me with your thoughts.

I used 13.5% CaraAroma in my clone and the color seems right but there's a lot more caramel/toffee in mine than I remember in the original.

Oh yeah, forgot about the registered name... Anyway, as I said my example has more of a mix of roast and toast. Don't get me wrong, the Caramel is there, buy less pronounced than C150. I also get no raisin flavor like Special B.

Could it be that you caramelized your wort a bit?

Oh yeah, forgot about the registered name... Anyway, as I said my example has more of a mix of roast and toast. Don't get me wrong, the Caramel is there, buy less pronounced than C150. I also get no raisin flavor like Special B.

Could it be that you caramelized your wort a bit?

Bottled last night. It's come a long way--its freaking awesome. I'm really happy with the 13.5% CaraAroma, the caramel flavor seems to have dropped out a lot leaving a fantastic beer.

I think it's also key to pitch sufficient yeast quantity & ferment pretty cool.

In Mitch Steele's book, on the recipes for the IPA and Self Righteous, he says they ferment at 72 and hold until FG is reached. Then drop to 62 and dry hop. They hold at 62 for 36 hours then drop to 32 and hold for 7 or 10 days respectively.

I tried dry hopping at that temp one time because Oskar Blues does it too, and did not get the same results at 70. They probably dry hop under pressure. I find it interesting the darker beer is held for longer.

Is the consensus that WLP007 is the right choice (not 001 or 002)?

Jamil and Tasty were convinced it was 007.

In Mitch Steele's book, on the recipes for the IPA and Self Righteous, he says they ferment at 72 and hold until FG is reached. Then drop to 62 and dry hop. They hold at 62 for 36 hours then drop to 32 and hold for 7 or 10 days respectively.

I tried dry hopping at that temp one time because Oskar Blues does it too, and did not get the same results at 70. They probably dry hop under pressure. I find it interesting the darker beer is held for longer.

Keep in mind the fermenter size and shape Mitch uses versus the fermenter size Homebrewers use. A huge cylindro-conical had a lot of hydrostatic pressure which suppresses a lot of ester generation. This suppression allows them to ferment at a higher temp. If you use a Carboy or 15gal conical, you won't get the same suppression due to pressure (unless you pressurize your conical). For this reason, you will have to ferment at a lower temp than what Mitch uses unless you want a lot more fruity esters in the beer.

Jamil and Tasty were convinced it was 007.

Keep in mind the fermenter size and shape Mitch uses versus the fermenter size Homebrewers use. A huge cylindro-conical had a lot of hydrostatic pressure which suppresses a lot of ester generation. This suppression allows them to ferment at a higher temp. If you use a Carboy or 15gal conical, you won't get the same suppression due to pressure (unless you pressurize your conical). For this reason, you will have to ferment at a lower temp than what Mitch uses unless you want a lot more fruity esters in the beer.

Right on. An important point I didn't touch on. Fermenting that warm in a 5 gal batch is definitely punching your ticket to banana town.

Back