Can you Brew It recipe for Lagunitas Maximus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1081
FG 1019
IBUs 102.9
SRM 8.6

6.74kg US 2-row 77.6%
1.34kg wheat malt 15.4%
330g light munich 3.9%
280g crystal 60 3.2%

Boil for 90min

31.5g Willamete 5.2%AA at 90min
7g Horizon 12%AA at 90min
17.5g Centennial 10%AA at 45min
35g Willamete at 45min
17.5g Liberty 4%AA at 45min
17.5g Cascade 6%AA at 45min
38.5g Cascade at 20min

24.4g Centennial dry hop
24.4g Cascade dry hop
24.4g Simcoe dry hop

Wyeast 1968

Mash at 157F [not a typo, the https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-lagunitas-ipa-175370/Lagunitas IPA mashes at 160F]

Pitch at 62F-65F, raise to 68 after 48', raise to 70F

Discussion notes:
Fermenting cooler helps to reduce the ester production for this beer. Nathan used a thick mash, 1 quart/lb. Jamil notes that the mash temperature plays a greater role in fermentability than mash thickness. Dry hopping on the warmer side increases extraction, so you can rack sooner.

Man, I don't know how they're getting 76% attenuation on this yeast. I use this strain in most of my ales and without sugar additions I'm typically getting 67-70% attenuation. A few times it's been as high as 73% but that's mashing real low.

I have temp control and I always ferment using the schedule they describe. I think I might have to replace some of the 2row with 10% sugar if I make this...

kanzimonson said:
Man, I don't know how they're getting 76% attenuation on this yeast. I use this strain in most of my ales and without sugar additions I'm typically getting 67-70% attenuation. A few times it's been as high as 73% but that's mashing real low.

I have temp control and I always ferment using the schedule they describe. I think I might have to replace some of the 2row with 10% sugar if I make this...

I have wondered the same myself.

Eric

The only thing I've heard about pressure affecting yeast is ester suppression. You'd think that pressure in general would stunt their performance.

But furthermore, the homebrewers who deemed the beer cloned were also able to get that level of attenuation. I'm baffled.

I just brewed this up today on my stove top. I followed the recipe pretty closely but couldn't find any simcoe hops, and I used a different hop schedule since the alpha #'s were different. My calculator says the IBU should be the same but I'm sure it won't be quite the same as Lagunitas without the simcoe. The original gravity only came to 1.065 so maybe I did something wrong... Going to wait 5 days or so and then dry hop. Will let you know how it turns out.

Just plugged this recipe into beer smith 2 (don't know when I'll get around to making it, but I like maximus), and found a few discrepancies.

I think the quantity for Horizon is wrong. The 7 grams given here will only net you something like 78 IBUs, but the recipe given here says 102 IBUs. I upped the amount of horizon to 1 oz (sorry for the unit conversion), and then I get exactly 102 IBUs.

This is a minor issue, but the SRM was also off considerably. Solved easily by increasing the amount of Crystal 60. In this case, I upped it to 12 oz.

Definitely scared about that high mash temp. Will make a huge starter in anticipation of trouble.

If the numbers don't match, I would suggest not changing the ingredients, just change the numbers. The numbers are guesses, the ingredients are exactly the proportions that they brew.

If the numbers don't match, I would suggest not changing the ingredients, just change the numbers. The numbers are guesses, the ingredients are exactly the proportions that they brew.

Thanks. I'll go back and tweak it in beer smith.

Chilling a batch of this right now. I upped the Horizon from 7g to 17g. I split the difference from the recipe and what cmoon calculated. I don't mind a little extra bitterness.

My LHBS was out of the London ESB so I substituted 1450 Denny's Favorite. I've used it on IPA's before with success.

Also, the LHBS had white wheat & red wheat as the only malted wheat options. I went with white wheat. Hope that was the right call.

When they say 6 gallons post boil, is that before or after any Trub and Chiller loss? I Beersmith I've calculated my Trub/Chiller loss as .5 Gallons and therfore it wants to bump my post boil volume up to 6.7 gallons and therefore bumps my pre boil volume up as well.

I'm pretty sure that with the Can You Brew It crew, they figure that a half gallon is lost in the kettle to trub and a half gallon in the primary to trub as well.

MongoloidMormon said:
When they say 6 gallons post boil, is that before or after any Trub and Chiller loss? I Beersmith I've calculated my Trub/Chiller loss as .5 Gallons and therfore it wants to bump my post boil volume up to 6.7 gallons and therefore bumps my pre boil volume up as well.

It is exactly as written.

6 gallons at the end of the boil.

5.5 gallons into the fermenter after trub and chilling loss.

5 gallons into the package.

Eric

OK. Thanks. Interesting that Beersmith makes you use a batch size of 5.5 gallons in order to get 5 gallons into the package. Also, it screws up my OG numbers when I lower the batch size. Does anyone have this recipe in a Beersmith file that they could send me?

Well, I just drank a bottle of my Maximus and a bottle of Lagunitas' side by side. I have to say that this is the closest to an exact clone that I have ever made, which is a wee bit surprising considering I used different yeast, I overshot the OG (1.084), and undershot the FG (1.024).

The color is nearly spot on if you take out the slight chill haze that mine has.

Even though I love Maximus and have passed gallons of it through my kidneys and liver, I think I prefer my version just a little bit. There is a flavor in the original that I've only noticed when drinking it side by side with my clone. It's hard to describe but I think it is malt derived. Mine just seems to meld together a tad bit better (and by 'tad' I mean TAD). This is the first time I've ever said that about one of my clones. I love homebrewing. :rockin:

It's gonna be hard to keep from burning through this batch before summer.

I guess I could always brew it again.

My room mate and I are trying this recipe out with a 2.5 gallon batch. Will let you know the results!:mug:

I'll bump it again, looking to brew 5 gallons with BIAB, and searching for a receipt that's scaled to that or similar...

Back