help with beer recipe? what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So I am going to brew a wheat DIPA and am using brewers friend to calculate numbers and wanted to see if this all sounds right as far as gravity expected abv etc also what you think of the recipe:

so its gonna be a partial mash, with about 50% efficiency 3 gallon boil size 5.5 gallon in the fermentor (Boil in bag for grains)

ingredients

9.9 lbs LME wheat

1 lbs flaked oats

1 lbs flaked wheat

1 lbs American crystal 20L

4 oz German melandoin 25L

3 lbs briess brewers malt 2 row 1.8L

Mash

Mash 150F 2 gallons for 60 mins

Sparge 170F 1 gallon

Yeast
safale us-05 2 packs

im guessing about 80% Attenuation??

Hops

3oz cascade 7.1 AA 60 min boil (pellet)

3oz Citra 13.2 AA 5 min boil (pellet)

2oz Citra 13.2 AA Dry hop after 7 days (pellet)

Final Numbers
Original Gravity

Final Gravity

ABV
8.98%

IBU

any recommendations or helpful tips would be appreciated !:)

I'd like to help you but I've never done a partial mash before . Unless its same as extract kits where you steep grain. Looks like your going for hazy NEIPA style. Only thing I would do is probably mash at lower temp around 145 -48 and some whirlpooling .

So basically you mash grain but do an extract then combine ?

I'm no expert but I'd check the diastatic power of that 2 row... You've got a lot of unconvertable starches in the wheat and oats. I'd think about switching to malted wheat if you have any available.

Also, if you're using 10g (or 11g?) packets of us05 1 will probably be fine if you rehydrate and aerate the wort well.

I'm no expert but I'd check the diastatic power of that 2 row... You've got a lot of unconvertable starches in the wheat and oats. I'd think about switching to malted wheat if you have any available.

Also, if you're using 10g (or 11g?) packets of us05 1 will probably be fine if you rehydrate and aerate the wort well.
I'm gonna use to packs just because of how high the alcohol content is

Looks like my OG came out at about 1.090
20190410_191333_HDR.jpg

Back