Can We Start Talking 12-12-12 Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would that be similar to a Black American Barleywine? Aka a RIS with a lot more hops?

Yep. And with BOURBON! :rockin:

Make a RIS but add a ton of hops. I did a similar by accident once and it got very good reviews (43.5). It aged almost a year by the time it was served. The hops held their own, even though it was a long wait. 2 ounces of dry hop helped.

Make a RIS but add a ton of hops. I did a similar by accident once and it got very good reviews (43.5). It aged almost a year by the time it was served. The hops held their own, even though it was a long wait. 2 ounces of dry hop helped.

I'm planning on a RIS in th next month or two. I may have to try this.

So, A Bourbon (oaked) American Imperial Stout, with boat loads of hops, both early & late additions, then dry-hopped like crazy before bottling? Count me in!

:rockin:

American imperial stout sounds really good. I'd have to forego the bourbon. Just the smell of it makes me gag (even the good stuff, people still try to convert me).

Someone mentioned porters too, I like the idea of a Baltic Porter as well.

Big hoppy stout or big hoppy porter, we'd be making up a style anyway so why try to label it. We'll just come up with an awesome recipe for a big ass, hoppy ass, dark ass beer. I'm all for letting everyone put their own spin on it. We can come up with a base recipe that can be expanded upon by each brewer. Maybe some people want to ferment it with lager yeast. Some may want to oak it, or add bourbon, or whatever.

So how does this work? Every year you all brew the same beer on the day that coincides with both the month and the year? Do you brew it on that day or drink it on that day?

I would be interested in a quad.

It might be interesting to have people make their own dark candi for use in the recipe, that way everybody's recipe would be slightly different in flavors.

Not sure how this will go over but here it goes. We could all brew the same grain bill to equal the same OG and age it the same length. Each brewer can then put their own variables in, like American yeast, lager yeast for a Baltic porter like beer, or a Belgian yeast, hops, etc. Basically, the only thing fixed is the grain bill.

I like the suggestions being tossed around this year, a wee heavy, a porter, heck I even have a bourbon barrel ready to roll should the opportunity arise.

So how does this work? Every year you all brew the same beer on the day that coincides with both the month and the year? Do you brew it on that day or drink it on that day?

Everyone brews the same recipe (minus subtle differences like hop substitutes, etc.) about a year before the date the beer is named for. Then about a month before that date there is a swap where anyone who wants to participate can send thier beer to 3 other people and have 3 people send beer to them. That way when the big day hits, you have your version along with 3 others to enjoy/compare/review/whatever. It's fun.

I like the idea of a baltic porter I've been wanting to brew one. The only problem I see with a nice big baltic porter is potential participants ability to ferment at lager temps. Now most of us have a cold winter so heating the fermentor space would be easier than cooling it. I could use my garage very easily with an aquarium heater and a temp controller.

I think I threw the idea of a Wee Heavy in there. I also like the idea of a nice big quad as well. I guess in a way I've sort of brewed up a Wee Heavy with big time peat malt. I consider it more of a peat smoked barleywine than a wee heavy though. Its too light and probably too hopped. I'm bottling that up sometime in Sept.

I'm not really down personally for a RIS because I brew one every year with my brother to let age for 6-9 months in a carboy before bottling. That gets brewed in oct/nov at my house for the Christmas the following year.

I've never brewed a wheat wine and I have 45lbs of flaked wheat sitting here at my house along with an almost full 50lb of rice hulls (so cheap if you buy them in bulk). Would that be with belgian yeast or a neutral american yeast? I assume dry hopping before swapping sort of deal.

So far the suggestions seem to be:

RIS
Wee Heavy (oak?)
Baltic Porter
American Imperial Stout (bourbon/oak)
Barleywine (oak?)
Wheat Wine (oak?)
IIPA (oak?)
Burton Ale (oak? brett?)
Quad (oak? spiced?)

Come on down to Texas!!! Dixie Cup 2012 BeerMagedon, Brewed mine 1/1/2011!!!

I like the idea of a baltic porter I've been wanting to brew one. The only problem I see with a nice big baltic porter is potential participants ability to ferment at lager temps. Now most of us have a cold winter so heating the fermentor space would be easier than cooling it. I could use my garage very easily with an aquarium heater and a temp controller.

I think I threw the idea of a Wee Heavy in there. I also like the idea of a nice big quad as well. I guess in a way I've sort of brewed up a Wee Heavy with big time peat malt. I consider it more of a peat smoked barleywine than a wee heavy though. Its too light and probably too hopped. I'm bottling that up sometime in Sept.

I'm not really down personally for a RIS because I brew one every year with my brother to let age for 6-9 months in a carboy before bottling. That gets brewed in oct/nov at my house for the Christmas the following year.

I've never brewed a wheat wine and I have 45lbs of flaked wheat sitting here at my house along with an almost full 50lb of rice hulls (so cheap if you buy them in bulk). Would that be with belgian yeast or a neutral american yeast? I assume dry hopping before swapping sort of deal.

So far the suggestions seem to be:

RIS
Wee Heavy (oak?)
Baltic Porter
Barleywine (oak?)
Wheat Wine (oak?)
IIPA (oak?)
Burton Ale (oak? brett?)
Quad (oak? spiced?)

I really like the idea of a proper wee heavy. The one I am drinking now is nice but not great. A quad sounds really good.

Someone should make a poll of the beer styles suggested and let the masses decide. Then we can argue about what the recipe will look like...

Wee Heavy, Porter, Belgian Quad, FTW... :D

I have to say, a wee heavy is my personal front runner, one of my favorite beers process-wise, and would be fabulous oak chipped or barrel aged.

I have to say, a wee heavy is my personal front runner, one of my favorite beers process-wise, and would be fabulous oak chipped or barrel aged.

I think my problem with my wee heavy is I didn't carmalize some of the. I think that is the missing flavor note.

I'll put up a poll if the beers listed here are agreed upon nominees.

RIS
Wee Heavy (oak?)
Baltic Porter
Barleywine (oak?)
Wheat Wine (oak?)
IIPA (oak?)
Burton Ale (oak? brett?)
Quad (oak? spiced?)

I have another idea. How about a rye weizenbock they're good aged as well. I'm currently reading "Brewing with Wheat" and it mentions that Aventinus is held for two years. They said they will bottle it and cellar it for two years then export to the US and sell as Aventinus Vintage.

I'll put up a poll if the beers listed here are agreed upon nominees.

RIS
Wee Heavy (oak?)
Baltic Porter
Barleywine (oak?)
Wheat Wine (oak?)
IIPA (oak?)
Burton Ale (oak? brett?)
Quad (oak? spiced?)

I have another idea. How about a rye weizenbock they're good aged as well. I'm currently reading "Brewing with Wheat" and it mentions that Aventinus is held for two years. They said they will bottle it and cellar it for two years then export to the US and sell as Aventinus Vintage.

This sounds like the list based on reading the thread.

I motion to approve. Can we get a second?

bierhaus15 said:
Someone should make a poll of the beer styles suggested and let the masses decide. Then we can argue about what the recipe will look like...

That's a good idea. Make a poll and a deadline. Once the deadline is reached we can create the recipe.

I think my problem with my wee heavy is I didn't carmalize some of the. I think that is the missing flavor note.

3 hour boil solves that for sure. Wee heavy / Kilt Lifter ftw. Double decoction brings out the best. I would have to modify my recipe a bit but I think adding some dark candy syrup sounds like an excellent idea coupled with some of the cherry wood smoked malt.

Back