Can The Carbohydrates In The Hemicelluose Of The Aluerone Layer Contribute To Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
This may be splitting hairs: I recently read in Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer" that the hemicellulose of the aleurone layer of barley kernels can be dissolved/reduced to simple sugars in a thorough mash cycle, specifically between temps of 160-176ºF. I usually don't mash-out, so my wort never gets to these temps in the MLT, but if I did, would this be enough sugar to see an increase in mash efficiency or is it a negligible amount of fermentables?

I would imagine the increase in extract would be negligible. It is common to achieve better efficiency through the use of a mash out process though, but this may have more to do with increased stirring/distribution of enzymes in the mash and some alpha amylase activity that you wouldn't normally get when doing a single infusion isothermal mash. So it's really hard to say whether the cellulose contributes to that or not.

Back