Can someone please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireandwater

Reaction score
Hi there am new to home brewing and love it I've been doing it a few month now.making beers and cider
I seen a forum on the net about making hooch from Orange juice and yeast
So thought I'd have a go now it's nearly there I've been told I can go blind ,
Now am ****ting myself about drinking it.

Here is what I done

3 litres of pure orange juice not from concentrate 10g of sugar per 100ml
1kg of table sugar
5 gram champagne yeast
1 litre of water

I put it in a gallon bottle with airlock and within a day it was bubbling like mad I'd say every couple of seconds.

Will this make me go blind cause it smells so good can anyone help please

This will not make you go blind.

There's nothing about what you've made here that's drastically different from making beer or cider. If your beer didn't make you go blind, this won't make you go blind.

I'd wait to hear from someone with more experience than me, but to me it seems no more dangerous than making beer. If you were to distill that, then it can be extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, but you're not.

You have sugars and yeast, same as in beer, and it will make CO2 and alcohol.

I don't know how this correlates to the maltose you'd get from grains, but table sugar and fructose (in the orange juice) are both highly fermentable, so you may be looking at a pretty stiff drink when that's done.

Looks like an orange (rather than lemon) version of Finnish Sima - should be pretty good!

Not so stiff a drink. You are making an orange wine and the potential alcohol content will be about 14 percent (or thereabouts). My experience with orange wine is that it is very tart. Ferment out all the sweetness and you have a bitter wine. Time seems to mellow the bitterness as does back sweetening. I have also balanced the tartness by adding cocoa nibs and allowing the wine to stand on the nibs for several months (chocolate orange). You diluted the juice 1: 4. That will certainly reduce the tartness, but it will also dilute the flavor.

This is most likely going to taste like rocket fuel when you bottle it. You're going to need to let it age for 6-12 months.

When I was making mead, I gave a recipe called, "Ancient Orange," a try. It basically consisted of a couple of cut up oranges (with the rinds), a little box of raisins, a couple of pounds of honey, a couple of cinnamon sticks, and a couple of cloves. The yeast was just plain old bread yeast (as per the recipe). It was undrinkable so I put it away and completely forgot about it and found it about 2 years later. Pop the cork and it was pretty good.

I've never tried anything like this, but the OP is at least using champagne yeast and not bread yeast. Yooper has a recipe for hard lemonade that is similar to what we have here, although she uses wine yeast instead for champagne yeast. It's apparently a big hit when she makes it - certainly not rocket fuel. So, I'm not totally willing to write this brew off as undrinkable for 6-12 months. Who knows. Give it a try in a couple of weeks and see how it is. If it is undrinkable, I'll bet the issue was temperature, rather than the ingredients themselves.

Back