Can Someone help me with a Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoors76

Reaction score
Had a friend switch to all grain and gave me the following. I am thinking wheat beer but not sure the schedule or the amounts.

I have:
3lbs Pilsen DME
5lbs of Wheat DME
1.5oz Hallertau
1 Smackpack of 3068 WHNSTPHN W

Thanks in advance as always :mug:

Looks like the makings of a hefeweizen to me, although for a 5 gallon batch that's way more DME than you need if you want to stick to BJCP style guidelines.

In fact I think you could just make it a 7 gallon batch (assuming you have big enough equipment), and just throw all the hops in when it first starts to boil, do a regular 60 minute boil and you'd be fine.

Hops aren't really the main feature of a hefeweizen, so I'd just use them for bittering in mine.

Or if you want to make a 5 gallon batch, use more like 1 pound of the pilsner DME and cut the hops to 1oz-1.25oz for 60 minutes instead of throwing in the whole kabootle. Then you can take some of the DME you saved and use it to make a starter for the yeast.

Back