Can someone explain the difference.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuyako

Reaction score
I was at my LBS the other day getting supplies and was show a really nice false bottom pot (wish I had the money) which he stated could be used as a mash tun and a lanturn tun. Now I understand what a mash tun is and the false bottom concept but what is a lanturn tun? Have a missed a step in my understanding of all-grain brewing?

I was at my LBS the other day getting supplies and was show a really nice false bottom pot (wish I had the money) which he stated could be used as a mash tun and a lanturn tun. Now I understand what a mash tun is and the false bottom concept but what is a lanturn tun? Have a missed a step in my understanding of all-grain brewing?

A Mash Lauter Tun is a single vessel for mashing and sparging your grains. which is accomplished with a false bottom or manifold. You can have 2 vessels one to mash in and one to lauter (sparge) in but i dont think i have ever seen one in use in the homebrewing world. IMHO the having seperate vessels is to much work moving the hot heavy grain around.

edit: in the joy of home brewing there is a separate lauter system :the 2 bucket zap system.

I remember the old "Joy of Homebrewing" back in the day (I think I have revision 2) , and his method for all grain was to mash in a pot on the stove and then transfer all the grist and mash to his "ZAP PAP" Lauter tun to conduct the sparge. (basically two 5 gallon pails nested togeather with the inside one with many many little holes drilled into it, and the second bucket with a drain line.). System was for fly sparging.

So I guess it was done in the homebrew world, until we found the simplicity and beauty of the cooler with manifold.

I remember reading the sparging phase and thinking this is why I will never do all grain. Luckily this little thing called the internet changed my mind.

Cheers.
D

Thanks! Now for a few more question...

So basically you mash in one pot and then transfer to a secondary vessel to sparge correct? The lauter ton is just another word for a sparge vessel? and if you are using the football/construction worker cooler do you need to have a false bottom in that? It would seem that you would so that the grains would not stop up the sparge. If that was the case then I know what he was talking about, simply leave the grains in after the mash, drain off the wort (forgot to mention there was a spicot (sp?) in the bottom), then sparge.

Lautering is the process of separating the wort from the grain after mashing. You can do it in a single vessel, like a cooler, if you have a false bottom, stainless braid, or some other way of filtering one from another.

Some people prefer to lauter in a separate vessel from the mash. Then, instead of having a mash and lauter tun (MLT) you have separate mash and lauter tuns.

Sparging is part of the lautering process, where you add additional water to the grain bed to rinse most of the remaining sweet wort out of the grains.

i built my own FB out of some household items and plumbing parts.

parts list
1 eahttp://www.walmart.com/ip/BakerEze-3-Piece-Pizza-Pan-Set/8071233
1 eahttp://www.mcmaster.com/#43535k21/=5mg2lu
2 eahttp://www.mcmaster.com/#50785k144/=5mg4ei

take the perforated pan and find the center point
drill hole in center to just bigger than the threads on the elbow
using tin snips cut pan to diameter of the bottom of your cooler
thread one of the locknuts onto the elbow
insert elbow into drilled hole and secure in place with second locknut.

i'd post pics but my new camera doesn't like my laptop. or viseversa

Back