Can it be done already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CT-Mike

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of Brewers Best English Brown Ale last Saturday, I did add 2# of honey to the recipe. Since it has been seven days and the bubbling in the airlock seems to have stopped, so I figured I would check the SG. It came in it 1.010, target for the recipe (without honey) was 1.011 - 1.015.

Should I proceed with bottling, or let it sit another week or so?

Thanks,

Mike

Test again in 3 days, if it doesn't change then it is done. Don't pay too much attention to your target gravity, remember it is just a target. Even if it is done, I would let sit another week or two and bottle when it falls clear.

I would recommend you let it sit another week to make sure it is done. The airlock is not a good indicator of complete fermentation.

Many here will tell you to leave it alone for another 3 weeks to allow the yeast to clean up after itself, but a healthy pitch of yeast will clean up any byproducts of fermentation within 2 weeks. Be sure to let it sit in the bottles at least 2 weeks at room temp to allow it to carbonate and condition. It will probably reach its peak a a couple of months after you bottle.

Thanks for the info, I will wait another week. It looked pretty clear already. There was a lot of residue around the bucket above the water line. Do I just leave it where it is to minimize the sediment that gets bottled?

Back