Can I use millet from the grocery store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillV

Reaction score
I am new to the GF scene for brewing, I just got diagnosed with Celiac 8 months ago and I used to do all grain beers here and there. I just ordered a picobrew Zymatic in which I plan to do small brew with so that I can enjoy a better GF beer as compared to what my liquor stores carry. I plan to use the usual grains that I am hearing from this board which include millet and sorghum. Can I use millet and sorghum from my local grocery store or do I have to buy from a specialty shop? Those shops online (glutenfreehomebrewing) are a bit expensive and I thought I can save a bit by getting it from Wegmans or Whole Foods but not sure I can use the same especially if I want to malt them. (btw I will be venturing off to malt them as well if I can)

You can brew with non-malted millet, but you will need to add enzymes and include a cerial cooking step to gelatinize the starch.

If you use malted millet the need for these steps seems less critical, so your process can look more like a traditional mash.

I have posted quite a few recipies on this board using non-malted millet.

The problem with malting grocery store millet is it's most likely hulled. And if you plan on malting it yourself it won't happen without it's hull intact. I've had success malting buckwheat without it's hull, but not millet. And I haven't tried sorghum yet so can't say. My success in malting millet has been from getting unhulled millet from a feed store, or birdseed millet. Seriously, bags of unhulled millet sold as bird seed is cheap ($20* for 40 lbs *Canadian pricing). I can make a lot of beer from one bag of millet ridiculously cheap.

I wonder if you could just brew all grain as normal and add Clarity ferm? My wife is gluten intolerant and has NO issue with beers that I brew with Clarity ferm. Just a thought...

I wonder if you could just brew all grain as normal and add Clarity ferm? My wife is gluten intolerant and has NO issue with beers that I brew with Clarity ferm. Just a thought...

Most of us will not use Clarity Ferm for one or two reasons:

1. True celiacs usually have problems with gluten *reduced* beers which is what Clarity Ferm produces.

2. Many, if not ALL, of us ENJOY the challenge of brewing *Gluten Free* beers which requires you to use nothing but Gluten Free ingredients.

To me personally, #2 is the attraction to this endeavor. Using Clarity Ferm would just not be any fun. Brewing with barley is a lot less complicated compared to what we're all trying to achieve here. No offense meant.

I think we need a new sticky about Clarity Ferm here on this forum.

I take no offense to your post at all. I was just sharing my experience.

Based on what I read here: http://beerandwinejournal.com/clarity-ferm-iii/ it is stated

"Conclusion

The findings of this research show that using Clarity Ferm to reduce gluten in beer effectively eliminates gluten, gluten fragments, and other similar proteins. Performing a step mash (with a protein rest) was not found to have any impact on gluten levels. The beers treated with Clarity Ferm were hard to distinguish from untreated beers. When ranked by taste, beers treated with Clarity Ferm often surpassed untreated beers.
"

In addition, it states: "It is clear from the data that the Clarity Ferm treated beer is essentially gluten-free and well below the 20 ppm standard."

Which is why I gave it a try. That seems to be in conflict with your statement about gluten "reduced."

Just my $.02 - obviously we all enjoy a challenge. I also enjoy ease from time to time! :D

I don't know if I want to trust it still. This so far is actually one of the few sites that say this but I know some folks that are Celiac and had intestinal issues with Omission beer which uses that as compared to a true GF beer that they drink they don't have problems with. I have Celiac but I guess my condition is not as sensitive as compared to others but it leaves me questioning, just because others are more sensitive than myself do I want to risk it knowing that I may get affected by it in the long run? Looking at the severity levels compared to others I might be able to digest it well but who knows if in the long run I may be putting more damage to my intestines that I don't know about, which I will pay for it later on when I get older. I have been on the fence with this for quite sometime which is why I joined this wonderful message board and I am leaning more to using all grain GF, its going to be a great expensive challenge but the rewards would be awesome. Just my 2 cents

I don't know if I want to trust it still. This so far is actually one of the few sites that say this but I know some folks that are Celiac and had intestinal issues with Omission beer which uses that as compared to a true GF beer that they drink they don't have problems with. I have Celiac but I guess my condition is not as sensitive as compared to others but it leaves me questioning, just because others are more sensitive than myself do I want to risk it knowing that I may get affected by it in the long run? Looking at the severity levels compared to others I might be able to digest it well but who knows if in the long run I may be putting more damage to my intestines that I don't know about, which I will pay for it later on when I get older. I have been on the fence with this for quite sometime which is why I joined this wonderful message board and I am leaning more to using all grain GF, its going to be a great expensive challenge but the rewards would be awesome. Just my 2 cents

For sure. Definitely a difference between someone who tries to reduce gluten, etc vs. Celiac. Bad reactions can be no joke.

I tip my hat to all folks that have a gluten issue but still stick with beer/brewing! Frankly - I don't know if I'd have the strength! :mug:

Most of us will not use Clarity Ferm for one or two reasons:

I think we need a new sticky about Clarity Ferm here on this forum.

There is. Sticky on clarity ferm, started by Igliashon.

Back