Can I use a large mason jar for yeast harvesting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
Planning to harvest for first time tonight (way to wait to ask a question). Most literature I've been reading is calling for half pint mason jars to use. Can I use a single full pint mason jar? Or a quart mason jar even? I only have the two piece metal lids to use with the jars, I hope that's OK.

Thanks!

EDIT - is there a benefit to using multiple small jars versus one large jar? Thanks again!

Last edited:

I use left over glass jars from spaghetti sauce. Just give them a good wash and star sans spray before I dump the yeast slurry from the fermenter. :mug:

Yep. It looks like that's what I'm going to do instead of washing. Based on this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7174191&postcount=11

Is it really as simple as...

• leave a bit of liquid (beer) behind in the primary after racking
• swirl it together (RIGHT OR WRONG?)
• then just pour that mixture into the Star-San-sprayed mason jar(s) ?

Am I missing something here? Thank you!

From what everyone is saying....id say thats pretty much it. However, I haven't tried it so id let someone else chime in just to be sure.

Yep. It looks like that's what I'm going to do instead of washing. Based on this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7174191&postcount=11

Is it really as simple as...

• leave a bit of liquid (beer) behind in the primary after racking
• swirl it together (RIGHT OR WRONG?)
• then just pour that mixture into the Star-San-sprayed mason jar(s) ?

Am I missing something here? Thank you!

Put in the fridge and put the lid on a little loose.

Planning to harvest for first time tonight (way to wait to ask a question). Most literature I've been reading is calling for half pint mason jars to use. Can I use a single full pint mason jar? Or a quart mason jar even? I only have the two piece metal lids to use with the jars, I hope that's OK.

Thanks!

EDIT - is there a benefit to using multiple small jars versus one large jar? Thanks again!

Oh boy, is there ever a benefit. If you use a large jar and pitch it all into your wort you could easily overpitch. The little jars will limit how much you can dump in at one time.:D:p

Now with all that behind, using the little jars will limit the amount of air in each jar and since you will be pitching the entire amount you won't be introducing extra air into the container which you might store in the refrigerator for a "next" batch. If you use the quart jar and dump just a little of it for the batch of beer, you have an air space left above the beer just as you might with a larger than recommended secondary which can allow an infection, perhaps as a wild yeast, perhaps as acetobacter, perhaps mold. You then would pitch that slurry into your next batch of beer and instantly have an infected batch.

I often use larger mason jars with the same 2 piece lid, no problem. When I use the larger jars I try to leave more beer on top to take up the headspace. The nice thing about smaller containers is being able to split them into about the right size for your next batch.

I have been doing a bunch of 1 gallon brews with the same yeast and have done both ways. If I put everything into a big jar, when I go to pitch the next batch I just pull a couple tablespoons of the bottom of the jar with a long sanitized spoon, let them come to temp in a separate container and pitch. When I plan ahead appropriately, I split the yeast cake into three or four 60mL containers and those are just about the right size to just pull out of the fridge, warm up, and pitch.

Oh boy, is there ever a benefit. If you use a large jar and pitch it all into your wort you could easily overpitch. The little jars will limit how much you can dump in at one time.:D:p

Now with all that behind, using the little jars will limit the amount of air in each jar and since you will be pitching the entire amount you won't be introducing extra air into the container which you might store in the refrigerator for a "next" batch. If you use the quart jar and dump just a little of it for the batch of beer, you have an air space left above the beer just as you might with a larger than recommended secondary which can allow an infection, perhaps as a wild yeast, perhaps as acetobacter, perhaps mold. You then would pitch that slurry into your next batch of beer and instantly have an infected batch.

There is absolutely no reason that you cannot just use part of the yeast saved in a bigger jar.

There is no reason to be worried by the very little amount of air that would be in the jar. You are getting a LOT more air and possibly wild yeast or infection just by putting the wort into your fermenter.

The chances of infection from the larger jar is so infinitesimally more than a smaller jar that it is not even worth consideration. Besides I would have the same amount of air space in 2 pint jars as I would have in one quart jar.

I found some great tips in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=579350

But check this out. What if I capture the slurry in the quart jar, store it for a few months, then use a portion of that on the next brew day...using that portion in a starter before brew day, actually.
THEN take the remaining slurry and store that in smaller containers that will fit it and minimize the air space. Bad idea?
I know, "just go out and get pint and half pint jars, dude". Tight on time and I'm already past my scheduled racking day.
Thanks all!

There is no reason to be worried by the very little amount of air that would be in the jar. You are getting a LOT more air and possibly wild yeast or infection just by putting the wort into your fermenter.

Thanks! So I understand you correctly, you're suggesting to
a) store mainly slurry and air in a jar rather than
b) slurry plus beer (wort) to fill in that space?

I'm trying to figure out how this is going to pour out from fermenter into jar to make procedure A possible. If the remaining wort is swirled with the yeast cake, wouldn't that result in a fluid consistency? How would I capture more of that slurry in the jar than liquid wort?
**** - sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! So I understand you correctly, you're suggesting to
a) store mainly slurry and air in a jar rather than
b) slurry plus beer (wort) to fill in that space?

I'm trying to figure out how this is going to pour out from fermenter into jar to make procedure A possible. If the remaining wort is swirled with the yeast cake, wouldn't that result in a fluid consistency? How would I capture more of that slurry in the jar than liquid wort?
**** - sorry for all the questions.

A) no, unless you fill the jar all the way there will be a little air above the slurry. I was saying that 2 small jars with a little air above would be the same amount of air above the slurry in one larger jar.

B) I fill the jar that fits the amount of slurry (yeast and beer) that I am saving closest to full as I can without being to anal about a little air in the jar.

If the slurry I am saving fills a quart jar, that is a lot easier than using two pint jars. Either works but I would rather save just one jar rather than two.

That said I have saved a lot of jars of yeast that just sat in my refrigerator until I finally threw the very old yeast away.

Instead I start off by making a starter larger than I need for a batch then freeze four 20 ml vials with 5 ml yeast, 5 ml glycerin and 10 ml water. I then make a step up starter to use one.

Brilliant!
Alright, I think I got this under control now. Thanks all for the help!

I too use old pickle jars, jars of jam, spaghetti sauce, whatever is convenient and the right size. For ales I pitch 8 ounces. For lagers I'm considering storing considerably more since my ferments often take sooo long to start and I feel like I need at least half a liter or more.

I use 1/2 gallon pickle jars for harvesting yeast from my (6.5 gallon bucket) fermentors.

After harvesting, I place the jar in the fridge with the lid on, but not tight. After a few days up to a week, when it has all settled, I save out a quart of the beer in a well sanitized container to use for top up later, pouring off the rest. I leave some beer behind so I can swirl the yeast up into a thick but pourable slurry.

Depending on how much slurry I have, I then divide the slurry over four 8 or 12 oz mason or jelly jars, and top off each with the saved beer. Each of those should contain a pitchable amount for a 5 gallon 1.060 batch for up to a month, at least. I may only fill 2 jars if I can't see re-using that much in foreseeable time. I tend to get a little better attenuation from them over the next 2-3 rounds, then they are used up, IMO, or just too old.

I also ranch yeast from overbuilt starters. They are fresh, clean, and virtually trub-less. They are stored in 4 oz mason jars, all topped off with starter beer, leaving ~1/4" air.

Those 1/2 gallon jars are also used for making starters, sometimes 4-6 at the time.

Last edited:
My God, what have I done? Siphon started gurgling so I pulled it. Left a lot in the bucket. Like a half gallon including trub and beer. I was able to swirl up into a very thin consistency but the result is this very green solution in the quart jar. I had enough to fill another quart but decided to just dump it. Going to see what some refrigeration does but have I wasted my time? Thanks
Can produce photo if it will help.

You will probably be surprised at how much you get when it crashes in the fridge, at least enough to make a starter from if needed.

My God, what have I done? Siphon started gurgling so I pulled it. Left a lot in the bucket. Like a half gallon including trub and beer. I was able to swirl up into a very thin consistency but the result is this very green solution in the quart jar. I had enough to fill another quart but decided to just dump it. Going to see what some refrigeration does but have I wasted my time? Thanks

Basically, you just got hop particles and other trub in the yeast. Should be ok.

My strategy for saving yeast is to brew a blonde ale with low hops, no dry hops, low gravity. After transferring beer to keg, I leave a bit of beer behind in fermenter. Swirl it all up into suspension, and then fill my mason jars.....Big ones work fine. I use 6 smaller ones and then just pull one out when I want to make a starter. Because I do this with a low gravity, low hop blonde ale, the yeast ends up being pretty clean without a lot of other debris in it.

I have done this with beers I dry hopped etc.... yeast ends up with more init, but it is generally fine.

I used to pour into quart jars. Now I just fill two pint jars. The two jars contain enough yeast for four ales if used soon. Each jar can make four starters if I wait a couple of months to use the yeast again.

I'll swirl up the carboy contents and then lay on its side. I pour when a thin line of clear beer forms in about 15 to 20 minutes.

475resized.jpg

479resized.jpg

Size of the jar doesn't matter. Keeping everything clean does. I've washed yeast to baby food jars and pitched directly to 5 gallons many times. Keep the good bugs in and the bad ones out.

Looks like you got a large amount of hop and other break material in your jar. It may settle out some more, but I look for the creamy tan sediment that is primarily yeast. Give it another day at the same temp and see if your yeast layer becomes more visible. If so, just leave it be until your next brew day, then pour off all that crud off the yeast layer and discard saving the yeast.

If you get a decent yeast layer from the jar, you can use it several months later. Some will say oh heck no you can't, but I do it all the time. If you want to make sure, for insurance, make a starter with the yeast.

Looks like you got a large amount of hop and other break material in your jar. It may settle out some more, but I look for the creamy tan sediment that is primarily yeast. Give it another day at the same temp and see if your yeast layer becomes more visible. If so, just leave it be until your next brew day, then pour off all that crud off the yeast layer and discard saving the yeast.

If you get a decent yeast layer from the jar, you can use it several months later. Some will say oh heck no you can't, but I do it all the time. If you want to make sure, for insurance, make a starter with the yeast.

Yup, planned to make a starter from it regardless. Question though - how will this all settle out over time? In order from top to bottom like:

A) liquid wort/beer, trub, yeast
or
B) liquid wort/beer, yeast, trub

Based on what you've recommended, what gets poured out and discarded before the yeast starts pouring out? Thank you!

I guess I do things backwards. When I make a starter, I make enough to pour part of it into a 1/2 pint mason jar and the rest goes into the fermenter. When it is time to brew again, I pull out the 1/2 pint jar and make another big starter that I can split the same way.

BTW, since I no-chill, I take off hot wort to get my starters going since I don't pitch until 24 hours later. This is even more convenient because I make real wort starters without having to mess with sticky messy extract.

Yup, planned to make a starter from it regardless. Question though - how will this all settle out over time? In order from top to bottom like:

A) liquid wort/beer, trub, yeast
or
B) liquid wort/beer, yeast, trub

Based on what you've recommended, what gets poured out and discarded before the yeast starts pouring out? Thank you!

I've never seen this much hop/break material in a yeast harvest, but I suspect it should settle out with wort/beer on top, hop and break material (trub)in the middle with your yeast layer on the very bottom. Simply pour off the wort and trub layers, and the yeast should remain on the bottom. But I wouldn't be surprised if the trub and yeast all stayed together and formed a rather large layer under the beer/wort.

Will you do me (us) a favor and post another pic once the harvest settles off another day or so?

I guess I do things backwards. When I make a starter, I make enough to pour part of it into a 1/2 pint mason jar and the rest goes into the fermenter. When it is time to brew again, I pull out the 1/2 pint jar and make another big starter that I can split the same way.

BTW, since I no-chill, I take off hot wort to get my starters going since I don't pitch until 24 hours later. This is even more convenient because I make real wort starters without having to mess with sticky messy extract.

Not backwards at all.....rather this is a great method to make several batches off one vial of yeast. Many folks recommend that you don't keep propagating like this past 6 generations else your yeast develops issues.

Thanks!

Yes.

Here are three pints of slurry that look like this after a few weeks in the fridge.
attachment.php

Harvest from a Pilsner. Used for a Marzen.

I've never seen this much hop/break material in a yeast harvest, but I suspect it should settle out with wort/beer on top, hop and break material (trub)in the middle with your yeast layer on the very bottom. Simply pour off the wort and trub layers, and the yeast should remain on the bottom. But I wouldn't be surprised if the trub and yeast all stayed together and formed a rather large layer under the beer/wort.

Will you do me (us) a favor and post another pic once the harvest settles off another day or so?

Awesome, thank you. Hell yes I will report back with updated photo. After about 3 days in fridge, I'm not seeing much of a white layer at bottom. Still a hell of a lot of green but let's see what the cold brings to this jar. Thanks!

I guess I do things backwards. [...]
I make enough to pour part of it into a 1/2 pint mason jar [...]

That would be considered forward. :mug:

I do something similar, but if the harvested slurry is especially clean, I may use it again too.

First of all, you are fine just saving trub as you have.

However, if the trub bothers you, you can "wash" the yeast out of it. What you want to do is shake it up into a uniform consistency. (You can add some distilled or sanitized water to thin it out). Wait about 15 minutes. At that point you should have a thin milky liquid on top - that is your yeast suspended in beer - with a solid layer of trub on the bottom. Decant the thin milky liquid and refrigerate. After a day or two you will have a pure yeast layer on the bottom.

Five days after harvesting, here's where it's at. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478478266.581703.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478478284.239342.jpg

I think more solid has packed together leaving more liquid on top. I could be dreaming but perhaps some of the dark green has gone lighter.

However, lifting the jar and looking at very bottom shows no white layer below that green. I'm not so concerned about based on the responses I've received here. Will keep thread posted thanks!

Five days after harvesting, here's where it's at. View attachment 376330View attachment 376331

I think more solid has packed together leaving more liquid on top. I could be dreaming but perhaps some of the dark green has gone lighter.

However, lifting the jar and looking at very bottom shows no white layer below that green. I'm not so concerned about based on the responses I've received here. Will keep thread posted thanks!

The stuff that you want to keep is the pale layer about 1/8" thick on top of the trub. The trub serves no purpose other than taking up space in your fridge (and later in your fermenter). You can get rid of all that trub following the instructions for washing above.

Man just pitch that whole jar it'll be fine. Washing is a waste of time if you ask me. I shake up he fermenter and pour that sludge into a jar and pitch it on the next brew day, simple as that. There's tons of yeast in that jar and the grub won't hurt it a bit.

I suspect it should settle out with wort/beer on top, hop and break material (trub)in the middle with your yeast layer on the very bottom. Simply pour off the wort and trub layers, and the yeast should remain on the bottom.

The stuff that you want to keep is the pale layer about 1/8" thick on top of the trub. The trub serves no purpose other than taking up space in your fridge (and later in your fermenter). You can get rid of all that trub following the instructions for washing above.

Thank you, friends. But which is it - yeast settling on top of or under the trub?

I respect those in the community who are washing their yeast, however, I've decided against employing this process.

There is some useful information in this sticky on harvesting yeast. Worth reading the first page.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=579350

Yup, I saw that thread too during my research and it is one of the reasons I have decided not to wash. :D

There are tons of folks who harvest yeast including me and I've never had a failure to launch. Lots of harvesters use this slurry to build a starter while some pitch direct and I've had success with both.

The best method I've used is to build a large starter and save some back to use in a following batch. This ensures you are saving clean, fresh yeast uninfluenced by dead cells, flavors from hops and other trub, and just healthy yeast in general. Even if you only save 1/2 pint back, make a starter and I'd say you'll have at least as many or more cells than you'd have in a vial of lab yeast.

Thank you, friends. But which is it - yeast settling on top of or under the trub?

I respect those in the community who are washing their yeast, however, I've decided against employing this process.

Yup, I saw that thread too during my research and it is one of the reasons I have decided not to wash. :D

The fresh yeast is the stuff that is suspended in solution, and it is the last to settle. It ends up as the top layer.

There is no harm in not washing, but if you decide not to wash then you don't get to worry about the trub.

Update for anyone who cares!

Put the yeast into a starter and it went well!

Stir plate for 48 hours. This is it in fridge after only an hour, settling nicely!

Success! The KitchenAid in the pic just next to the stir plate so reminds me of my space!

I've been washing my yeast lately, but the two recent batches I did from straight slurry did great. I think the only reason I bother washing is for the looks of it. People are always reaching in my brew fridge asking "what the hell is that?"

Latest posts

Back