can i save & test my sample over 3 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twst1up

Reaction score
since i only yielded about 4 gallons on my last brew I'd rather not take, and then dump, 3 seperate thief fulls of beer. If i just kept it in the test jar & look at it each day will this be an accurate reading of what's in the carboy? Just trying to save some beer:confused:

if your thief, hydrometer, and thermometer are all sanitized, just return the sample to your fermenter.

i had always read that was a no-no? ie: it wasn't worth the risk despite proper sanitation of testing equipment.
but as far as keeping the sample in my test jar over a few days....is this a proper method?

thanks for the quick reply btw:mug:

You can keep it out as use it as a test, but it may not be completely accurate. There may be more or less yeast in the sample, for example. Still, it's an ok way to gauge what the expected FG may be.

I take an OG sample at the beginning, and one at the end (after a couple of weeks). I think my hydrometer sample jar uses like 2 ounces, though, so I don't have a problem taking a sample (and drinking it) when I want to. I don't see the need for more than a couple of SG samples.

I wouldn't return a sample to the carboy. Maybe if I sent the tube, thief and hydrometer through an autoclave (and they were heat proof). I don't think a test tube sample would accurately show whats happening to the bulk of beer in the carboy.

Even though you got less than you wanted, 3 samples adds up to just over one beer.

will this be an accurate reading of what's in the carboy?:

Do you mean will the sample and the carboy both ferment identically? I don't think you can say so. There will be no yeast cake to absorb/add flavors. Different pressure will be on the beer than on the sample, because there is not 5 gallons of beer and CO2 pressing on top of it. Overall different conditions for each = different outcomes. I would say just take separate samples. You don't have to waste the beer (don't put it back in... too risky - drink it!!:mug:) I usually only take samples once airlock activity has stopped, so I only end up taking 2 or 3 readings before bottling.

Apparently I need to get a new sample jar... I currently have to use about 8oz to take a reading. Where'd you guys get your jars from?

You can use the tube your hydrometer came in...but be careful, the end plugs might not stay on very well when filled with liquid. I've lost many a sample that way. I think about 2/3 of a cup is how much I end up using each time I sample.

Taste the sample and learn what unfinished and finished beer tastes like.

About three months ago I tasted two batches of another homebrewer's unfinished beer and guessed the gravity within 3 points. Might have been a fluke but you never know.

Don't save beer. Make more.

I never take more than two readings on a batch. One immediately before pitching to get the OG. One before racking to the bottling bucket to get the FG.

Latest posts

Back