Can I save my moldy mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newmeader

Reaction score
20190927_145803.jpg
I thought I sanitized carefully, but after 20 days I have this. I racked it from underneath into a clean carboy but it has doubled in the last 24 hours. Help......

I can try to post a better photo, but that is pretty much what it looks like. Pitched wyeast 4184 on 9/6 in a bucket.
•18 lbs orange blossom honey
•enough bottled spring water to make 5 gsllons
•followed directions on Traditional Mead additive kit I got from adventures in brewing.
•activated yeast per directions
•fermentation began a little after 36 hours and was pretty vigorous
•fermentation slowed drastically after 18 days
•opened bucket to transfer to carboy after 20 days noticed 4 white circles on the surface
•siphoned being careful not to pull any white spots
• not bubbling very much anymore only periodically
•tasted it yesterday, no off flavor...yet
I never added any sulfites unless they are in the kit.
Ordered the honey online from a brewing website...sorry can't remember the name
Room temp- 64°-68° give or take a degree

Thanks, but I'm still not convinced this is mold. Highly unlikely to get mold after we have alcohol (yes, it can happen -- before all the other chimes in, but something drastic is wrong if it does). Perhaps trapped CO2?

Checked SG yesterday. 1.020, alcohol was 15% I hope you are right. My friend who makes mead is urging me to dump it out.

Is there a way to tell for sure what it is? I don't detect a moldy smell. Not really bubbling though.

Will not always see airlock bubble. Mold appears different. Absolutely avoid black or pink mold!

I'd search at this website for pictures of mold.

I do believe you simply have additional fermentation, or stuck fermentation happening.

This photo clearly shows normal bubbles, not mold.

Don't dump it. Your friend telling you to dump that either hasn't seen it or is just clueless.

Highly unlikely to get mold after we have alcohol
This is false. Mold can grow despite alcohol.

Mold would either cause a bad taste or a sour taste.
Have you tasted a lot of moldy things?
When something does actually have mold, it should be dumped because it's not safe to consume. Mold is allergenic and can produce toxins/carcinogens, regardless of color.

Are my posts even read before typing a reply? I wrote, "yes, it can happen -- before all the other chimes in,..."
Calm down there buddy.

I am in disagreement with your assertion that it is "highly unlikely". A high ABV like 15% probably does reduce the likelihood of growth to some extent though.
Mold spores just need moisture and oxygen to grow. Sugar helps too.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Mold
Mold is tolerant of both hops and alcohol levels above what is in beer (most are killed at ~28% ABV, but some can survive up to 50-60% ABV), so do not rely on hops or alcohol to prevent mold growth [10].

Yes, I've tasted enough to realize when something is moldy.
Gross.

Mold is easily identified by appearance. There's no reason to go around tasting moldy foods/drinks.

Last edited:
The white spots could be yeast. Head space in the carboy allows oxygen in that the yeast needs to live and multiply.
Rack to another carboy, add sulfite, and use (sanitized) marbles to bring level of the mead all the way up to the top to have minimal air exposure.
You could also rack to 1 gallon jugs and you'd only have to add marbles to one jug.
Avoid splashing the mead when you rack it.
This video explains a little about what it might be:

And for everyone that says "throw it out" at the first sign of suspected contamination, check out this fearless fermented food lady's method of dealing with all kinds of surface yeast:

Last edited:
Geez... 1.020 is NO WHERE NEAR finished. Hope you are NOT planning to bottle. Can we write "Bottle bombs"?

Will not always see airlock bubble. Mold appears different. Absolutely avoid black or pink mold!

I'd search at this website for pictures of mold.

I do believe you simply have additional fermentation, or stuck fermentation happening.
Thank you for all the help! I gently swirled the carboy and the clumps immediately dissipated into a layer of foam. The swirling also caused the airlock to bubble vigorously for a few seconds. There are fewer bubbles on it at this point.

Back