Can I safely run this burner off a 9KG LPG bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying this Campmaster 4 ring LPG burner.

I plan on using 9KG LPG cylinders. Will the evaporation/vaporization rate be too much to safely run this burner?

The ambient temperature that I will be using the burner will vary from maybe 5°C if I'm doing a brew on a winter morning, to 25°C if it's a summer afternoon.

The LPG in NZ is supposed to be a mix of 60:40 propane:butane.

That should work fine since it has a pressure regulator. The vaporization rate in the tank won't have any effect on the pressure delivered to the burner.

Yes, you can (assuming it's similar to Australian models and gas). BUT those ring burners are very inefficient for brewing and leave a heavy black sooty residue on pots. I wouldn't recommend them for brewing.

Last edited:
Yes, you can (assuming it's similar to Australian models and gas). BUT those ring burners are very inefficient for brewing and leave a heavy black sooty residue on pots. I wouldn't recommend them for brewing.

I wish I had a choice. Those are the most powerful gas burners I can find in NZ. The brew shops are no help in this regard.

Shipping off Amazon or eBay is far more expensive than the cost of the burner itself.
:(

Last edited:
I was in the same boat - I've never seen the turkey fryer type available near me (they look far more efficient). When I was using a three ring burner, a 9Kg bottle was lasting about 3 brew days. It didn't take long before I went electric - $40 for an easy to fit element.

I was in the same boat - I've never seen the turkey fryer type available near me (they look far more efficient). When I was using a three ring burner, a 9Kg bottle was lasting about 3 brew days. It didn't take long before I went electric - $40 for an easy to fit element.

What kind of element did you use? Was it just an element added to your brew pot?

Back